How do I get at my in-dash fuse box ?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on How do I get at my in-dash fuse box ? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Small problem here, guys. My fog lights have quit working. I'm pretty confident it's the 15A fuse. The fuse box ...

How do I get at my in-dash fuse box ?

Small problem here, guys. My fog lights have quit working. I'm pretty confident it's the 15A fuse. The fuse box in the engine bay is cake, no worries. However, the fog light fuse is one of the ones behind the little coin tray.

Okay, now when I pull off the coin tray, the fuses are in back, so how the heck do I get to the fuses ? I don't see any obvious pivot where I can open the fuse box to pull the fuses. I tried crawling under the instrument panel to see if I can do it from the back side. The problem is my eyes have gone bad for close in vision, even with my reading glasses on, I can't see a thing if it's 12'' away from my nose, as the fuses are in these tight quarters.

Any advice on how I do this ?
    Old, but not slow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

cnk
    You have to take the driver's side underpanel off. It's held on with 3 screws. Just take the screws out and pop the panel off and you'll have access to the fuses.

Calvin

Ahh.....Thanks, Calvin.
    Old, but not slow.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!

You don't have to take off the panel. The coin holder will come off. It is much tougher the first time than any time after that, once you figure it out. Pull slightly up and left, and slide the one peg through the slot in the dash piece (you'll see it when you look). Once the peg on the right is through, you can pull the left one out easily.

tcc

cnk
    Hmm. . guess I never pulled hard enough. In any case, either way will work.

Calvin

Thumbs up

Good explanation. Thanks, chickencow.
    Old, but not slow.

Very welcome!

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, just yank harder on the tray. The tray even has the fuse chart on the back of it. That's actually near the top of my list of things I don't like about the WRX. My Honda had a nice quality spring-loaded little tray down there. The WRX has a plastic fusebox cover with a pocket built into it. Actually I can't think of anything I dislike more on my car. (shows how unhappy I am about it overall )

You only have to take the whole panel off if you want to get in behind the fusebox to rewire it.

FYI - it took me a little while to figure this out, but the spare fuses for both fuse boxes are actually in the engine bay fuse compartment. The little fuse puller tool is in there too. Convenient, eh?

One more gripe: did the fuses have to be so freakin' small??

Chris
    Last edited by GV27; 11-27-2002 at 09:00 AM.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

If it jams - force it.
    If it breaks - it needed fixing anyway.
    If you can't tie knots - tie lots!!

Andrew

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.