Rust on hood

This is a discussion on Rust on hood within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; quick question, will my hood rust? im quessing no cz aluminum. thakns...

Rust on hood

quick question, will my hood rust? im quessing no cz aluminum. thakns

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I wish I could slap you.

no
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

I know that it not nice to say. I should pull out my chemistry book from 4 years ago, but I will just give a short explanation. Aluminum doesnt rust like steel does, or at least at the same rate. Oxidation or combining with oxygen is what rusting is, also know as iron oxide. Corosion on aluminum is aluminum oxide, but happens at a much slower rate than steel. So to say that its not going to break down is not true, but the finish on aluminum lasts far longer. HOWEVER!!!! Comparable thickness of steel to aluminum, Al is a weaker metal, so it does dent easier.

Quote Originally Posted by afbluesv1k
    I know that it not nice to say. I should pull out my chemistry book from 4 years ago, but I will just give a short explanation. Aluminum doesnt rust like steel does, or at least at the same rate. Oxidation or combining with oxygen is what rusting is, also know as iron oxide. Corosion on aluminum is aluminum oxide, but happens at a much slower rate than steel. So to say that its not going to break down is not true, but the finish on aluminum lasts far longer. HOWEVER!!!! Comparable thickness of steel to aluminum, Al is a weaker metal, so it does dent easier.

To add to this once a layer of oxidized Al is covering the top of the surface the oxidation is finished. It actually is stronger than pure Al if I remember my Chemistry correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    It must be on the Subway diet. Did you name it Jared?

Quote Originally Posted by tarbaj
    To add to this once a layer of oxidized Al is covering the top of the surface the oxidation is finished. It actually is stronger than pure Al if I remember my Chemistry correctly.
    I think on a Rocwell hardness test it is but structurally I dont think it would be becuase its only on the surface.

Well, thanks for the replys. I asked that because i got a deep scratch and slight bend on my hood and dont want to spend 350 to fix it(quoted to fix by a bodyshop). One of my friends said it should be fine b/c its alum. so i figured i'd ask. Sorry if the question was unclear because i was in a hurry. The body shop said that even if i put touch up paint on it, it would still end up rusting b/c of the bend. Is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by aznwrx04
    Well, thanks for the replys. I asked that because i got a deep scratch and slight bend on my hood and dont want to spend 350 to fix it(quoted to fix by a bodyshop). One of my friends said it should be fine b/c its alum. so i figured i'd ask. Sorry if the question was unclear because i was in a hurry. The body shop said that even if i put touch up paint on it, it would still end up rusting b/c of the bend. Is this true?
    it WOULD be true if the hood was steel, as most are. the body shop probably doesn't know the hood is aluminum, and I don't know if I'd want someone who doesn't know that to be working on my car...and if he does know its aluminum and thinks it will rust then run....run far far away.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself