how to take 4 hours to install spark plugs

This is a discussion on how to take 4 hours to install spark plugs within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; <rant> 1) don't have more than one socket extension. one of those little 4-5" ones might be okay, but as ...

how to take 4 hours to install spark plugs

<rant>

1) don't have more than one socket extension. one of those little 4-5" ones might be okay, but as i figured out, that plus a bigger 10-12" one will do a world of good.

2) don't have a spark plug socket that fits. it's supposed to be a 16mm extra-long socket, but i didn't have any - and neither did walmart. fortunately, a 5/8 inch extra-long one fits just fine.

3) break a 12mm socket whilst trying to unscrew stuff. don't do this.

4) have to make multiple trips to department stores to get the supplies you need. if i had read ahead and gotten all the sockets and other hardware bits ahead of time, things would have gone much more smoothly.

given that i now know all these things and have acquired the necessary tools, next time it shouldn't take me longer than an hour. i followed shiv's instructions (www.vishnutuning.com), and they were right on. it was just wrangling with the hoses and sockets and nuts and trying to reach all those things tucked away where god never meant for man to see that took so long.

</rant>
    2002 impreza wrx sportwagon 5-spd, aspen white
    very tenderly modified.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Being an ex-dealership mechanic I feel your pain! I don't know how many jobs I expected to take x amount of hours end up taking x*y+z because of "incidentals". *sigh*
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

ROTFLOL!

I know what you mean. It's seems Mr. Murphy always shows up and throws a wrench into your plans (heehee, sorry about the weak pun).
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

It is for reasons like this and more that I alwasy estimate jobs at 150% of their normal time.

That being said, how the heck did you break a socket??? I take it this was not a Snap-on socket.....

Joe
    "Damn.... this car is wicked fast..." ~ My roomate, owner of a supercharged/intercooled 97 Trans AM
    Mods |

Originally posted by NJSubieTech
    It is for reasons like this and more that I alwasy estimate jobs at 150% of their normal time.

That being said, how the heck did you break a socket??? I take it this was not a Snap-on socket.....

Joe
    a tricky situation where i didn't have the right extensions so i was trying to torque with like 5 degrees of play... *shrug* it was a metal socket with a square hole in one end where the peg from the wrench goes in... i assume that's a snap on.
    2002 impreza wrx sportwagon 5-spd, aspen white
    very tenderly modified.

Originally posted by bigtrick

a tricky situation where i didn't have the right extensions so i was trying to torque with like 5 degrees of play... *shrug* it was a metal socket with a square hole in one end where the peg from the wrench goes in... i assume that's a snap on.
    Snap-On is the "brand" (like Craftsman, Husky, etc.)...only better than those I listed, of course that's opinion.... I don't think he was referring to the "action" of putting the socket on the wrench.
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

Yes, I did mean the tool brand. And I can assure you - there is much to be said about the quality of Snap-on tools. The real debate is weather or not they are worth the money....

But as I have yet to break any of their tools - Id say they are.

Wrench safely,

Joe
    merlin916@aol.com
    "Damn.... this car is wicked fast..." ~ My roomate, owner of a supercharged/intercooled 97 Trans AM
    Mods |

I have no doubt in my mind Snap-on tools are worth the money. Slim open-end wrenches, everything just feels good, superb chrome coating, specialty tools... They're worth the money if you can afford them, I guess.

For a person that uses his/her tools to make their living NO QUESTION.

For a DIY'er - hmm... I'd still opt for the Snap-on but Craftsman's warranty and lower price make them hard to pass up.

All I can say is one you go Snap-on, you won't go back!
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Snap-On??? Drooooool

For a DIY'er Snap-Ons are a bit pricey...but as Is2Scooby said Craftsman are hard to beat. Good quality tools can be had at Sears. I've never had a Craftsman or Snap-On break on me...so it's worth the money.

It's so true...once you go Snap-On, you won't go back again.

-LostLamb
    Uh guys? After I read this post I went out to take a look at my WRX. There seems to be some bird poop on the drivers side A-pillar and almost all of the windshield washer fluid is gone. Should I trade it in for a Ford ZX2 or just light in on fire?

God I miss my rex. -Koyokid

Rest in peace Koyokid.

I would be remiss if I didnt add that I do have many Craftsman tools, and they are of excellent quality and a great value. However, you are totally correct in saying that once you get Snap-on - you'll never go back. I dont ever use my Craftsman combo wrenches anymore.... Snap-on's never slip, even with the open end.... You get what you pay for I suppose....

Joe
    Mods |