CEL - cyl 1 and 2 misfire on stock 02 WRX - cause for concern?

This is a discussion on CEL - cyl 1 and 2 misfire on stock 02 WRX - cause for concern? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, i'm new to subarus but definately not new to cars. Anyway, today i lit up a CEL passing ...

Exclamation CEL - cyl 1 and 2 misfire on stock 02 WRX - cause for concern?

Hey guys, i'm new to subarus but definately not new to cars. Anyway, today i lit up a CEL passing somebody today and upon checking it, pulled the codes p0301 and p0302 (cylinder 1 misfire detected and cylinder 2 misfire detected, respectively). at the time the CEL lit, there was no hiccup in the powerband; the car didn't miss a beat nor was the car put into limp mode. I recorded the codes, deleted them and went driving trying to see if it would light up for me again or if i could get it to hesitate - neither of which happened. This is on a totally bone stock 02 wrx. My question: is this a normal thing or something that occurs periodically in warm weather (it was a bit warm today in los angeles) or somethin like that OR should i look into this further?

My neighbor who owns a lightly modded mitsu evo said he sometimes lights up the p0300 CEL (multiple cylinder misfire detected) briefly and nothing ever comes of it which leads me to think this may be something related to california 91 octane gas plus turbo plus warm weather. your thoughts?

By the way, i just bought my WRX last week and i love it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    How many miles are on the car? Is the service up to date.

My guess is either bad gas (probably) or tune up stuff, e.g. plugs etc.

69,000miles on the car and according to the previous owner, the servce is up to date. I'm not going to worry about it too much unless it happens again.

is the car running rough? #1 and #2 are on opposite sides of the block....so it may be just a bad batch of gas or something....if it continues or your car starts feeling like its really running on less cylinders, check the #1 and #2 coilpacks and spark plugs...maybe bad gap, fouled plugs...bad contact.

"NORMAL" subaru service SHOULD replace the spark plugs @60k...

I've had a #2 misfire a few times and haven't tracked it down yet...I'm pretty sure its somewhere in the ignition though.
    Last edited by blarg; 05-02-2006 at 11:29 AM.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

the reason i think it was some sort of isolated incident was that the car ran totally smoothly; i didn't notice any hesitations even at the time the CEL came on and i couldn't detect any hesitations after the fact nor could i get the CEL to come on again.

By the way, which cylinders are which? i don't have any experience with boxer engines so i don't know how to tell which is cylinder 1 or 2 etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballstein
    the reason i think it was some sort of isolated incident was that the car ran totally smoothly; i didn't notice any hesitations even at the time the CEL came on and i couldn't detect any hesitations after the fact nor could i get the CEL to come on again.

By the way, which cylinders are which? i don't have any experience with boxer engines so i don't know how to tell which is cylinder 1 or 2 etc.

driver
    3 4
    1 2
    front bumper
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

awesome, thanks

I had this CEL almost 2 years ago on my 2002. I was idling in a parking lot and there appeared to be nothing wrong with the car. I took it into Subaru and it was determined to be a software problem. My ECU was sent in for a reflash, and the probelm was fixed.

-Shadow
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Midnight Black Pearl
    2009 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon 5MT - Dark Gray Metallic

hmm weird. i'll definately keep that in mind in case it becomes persistent. thanks for the input.