ABS and CEL on and Speedometer is dead
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on ABS and CEL on and Speedometer is dead within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I was driving along 95 today and all of a sudden the car shuts off, then comes back on ...

ABS and CEL on and Speedometer is dead

So I was driving along 95 today and all of a sudden the car shuts off, then comes back on (turbo timer kicked in i think) then stayed on, the speedometer was dead, i had a cel and the abs light was on. I also found out that when I hit 4 1/2 - 5k rpms the engine limits itself, like its redlining or something way too early. Idk whats wrong!!!

Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What mods do you have, and have you done any work to the car recently?
    New England F4
    www.OddTopic.net - my pet project, come say hello!
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

None recently.

Mods:
    Turbo XS BoV (I know I know, spare me)
    Greddy Turbo Timer
    Aftermarket cd player and subs

thats it

I really don't know, other than possibly your TT is screwing with the ECU in some way
    New England F4
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

make sure your battery terminals are tight and not corroded.
    looks like you need to get the cels pulled before you do anything. also you are most likely in "limp mode" it restricts rpms and such to help prevent engine damage

Found something somewhere where it said they had similar problems but it was the alternator ground

Mechanic said he can't diagnose it, most likely the ecu he said. Wheres the best / cheapest place to get one, is there anything aftermarket that would give me any sort of gains?

you have to figure out what's wrong and fix your car before you worry about gains.

sounds like you're in limp mode. pull the codes...that would be the place to start.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

He can't diagnose it so he told you to get a new ECU?

I'd find another mechanic, one who can diagnose the problem - it could be as simple as a corroded terminal somewhere. It's not hard to run diagnostic checks on the ECU with the right equipment, I'd definately have someone do that before you lay out a grand for a new computer you're not sure you actually need.
    New England F4
    '02 BUGEYE
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

Wheres the best place to get that done, I heard Autozone. True?

Idk i was just hoping there would be a replacement unit that gives some gains while Im at it.

I mean full diagnostic procedure, not just pulling CEL codes.
    New England F4
    '02 BUGEYE
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Silentdawn
    Wheres the best place to get that done, I heard Autozone. True?

Idk i was just hoping there would be a replacement unit that gives some gains while Im at it.
    autozone or pep boys will pull your codes...MOST of them will do it for free...or so I hear, but I wouldn't trust them to work on my car. I have an accessport so I've never had to have someone else do it.
    go f*** yourself

The only problem with a full diagnostic ATM, is money. I have had problems from the day I got this car, Bought it used, first day i would hit a slight bump in the road and it would squeak. been doing that ever since. had idling problems at one point, transmission problems. I hate used cars.

CODE: P0502 - Speed sensor low input.

After the code cleared, the speedometer started bouncing around. Any help?

Quote Originally Posted by Silentdawn
    CODE: P0502 - Speed sensor low input.

After the code cleared, the speedometer started bouncing around. Any help?
    so you have no mods except the turbo timer?

sounds like for whatever reason you're not getting good signal. if possible, disconnect the turbo timer (you don't really need it anyway), check if maybe the TT wiring is shorting somewhere. you could be going into limp mode because the ECU isn't getting a good RPM reading. I'm sure someone else will have a few ideas.

has the dash ever been out of the car? make sure the harnesses are secure.

have you had the clutch replaced recently? maybe the speedo sensor got loose.
    go f*** yourself

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.