Whats the best quick oil change chain?
Results 1 to 14 of 14

This is a discussion on Whats the best quick oil change chain? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What do you guys think? It's winter and I don't have a nice warm garage to work in. So I'm ...

  1. #1
    Registered User verbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    1,151

    Whats the best quick oil change chain?

    What do you guys think? It's winter and I don't have a nice warm garage to work in. So I'm going to be going to quick change places through winter. With my old car I used to go to Uncle Eds. But now that I have a WRX, I'm babying it like crazy and want it treated right. =)

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    tan
    tan is offline
    Thinking Man's Engine tan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Wharton, NJ
    Posts
    3,014
    location might be nice for those unfamiliar

  4. #3
    Registered User QuickSilver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,294
    After reading about getting Mobil 1 at walmart lube...I would serious consider that. I hear you can't touch the price, but the main draw back would be a long wait (just make appointment early I guess) and ofcourse...it's Walmart (so you'll need to double check everything after).

    Or invest in an oil pump and drain out of the oil cap under the hood. Then you just need to slide under to replace the filter.

    Or that futomoto oil drain valve...quick and easy.

    Or, go to a nice covered mall parking lot at night and do a quick change...but then that would probably be illegal or something.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

  5. #4
    tan
    tan is offline
    Thinking Man's Engine tan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Wharton, NJ
    Posts
    3,014
    You buy the "drill" pump

    (2) Female Hose to Hose Barb swivel 3/4 x 3/8



    and 3/8 I.D. Vinyl Tubing


    feed it in through the dipstick.

    You might be able to do the same thing for the gear oil
    Last edited by tan; 11-25-2002 at 08:01 AM.

  6. #5
    Moderating U! KurleeDaddeeWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,317
    I Support ClubWRX
    D.I.Y.

    Do It Yourself oil change. Don't pay morons to do it. They might mess up your car. Do the oil change yourself. Its not that hard. Buy a fumotovalve and oil changes are a breeze.

    http://www.fumotovalve.com

    Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

  7. #6
    Registered User QuickSilver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,294
    IN verbal's defense, it's a different world here in the snowbelt. If there is no garage access, then I would think it's darn near stupid to try and change your oil: on the street, with 3 ft of snow, slush and crap, in 20 degrees (wind chill), and it's a whole world of pain and suffering if say the bolt or the filter got stuck.

    I offerred suggestions that may make the ordeal quicker and easier...but I totally agree...if the weather is bad and you don't have a garage...go to a nearby place and get it done...just keep a sharp eye on what they are doing.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

  8. #7
    Registered User verbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    1,151
    Well said Quicksilver. I'm from Michigan, North of Detroit.

    I'm still a beginner at oil changes. I can't get them done quickly. So for the winter I'm going to go to the quick change places. Once it gets warmer out I'll be doing it myself.

  9. #8
    Registered User QuickSilver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,294
    Yeah i know. I'm in MI too. i work in AA but live near Flint. The snow is falling quick...looks to be a white thanksgiving

    I have a garage and it's freezing in there...I changed my g/f's car oil the other day...the darn filter was stuck (started to seriously contemplate the 'ol screwdriver puncture option)...came close to freezing my arse off. A neighbor came by and said I'm doing harm to my kidneys by straining on the cold concrete for so long (I don't know if he was kidding).

    See you on the road Verbal
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

  10. #9
    Moderating U! KurleeDaddeeWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,317
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by QuickSilver
    IN verbal's defense, it's a different world here in the snowbelt. If there is no garage access, then I would think it's darn near stupid to try and change your oil: on the street, with 3 ft of snow, slush and crap, in 20 degrees (wind chill), and it's a whole world of pain and suffering if say the bolt or the filter got stuck.

    I offerred suggestions that may make the ordeal quicker and easier...but I totally agree...if the weather is bad and you don't have a garage...go to a nearby place and get it done...just keep a sharp eye on what they are doing.
    I know you guys are thinking, TYPICAL CALIFORNIAN RESPONSE to changing oil out there in the midwest during the winter. And I sympathize with you. Maybe you are just better off taking it to the dealer and having them do it RIGHT, for a little more money than the quick change oil places.

    I just don't trust these quickie oil change places at all. When my mom had a Saturn, she took it to Jiffy Lube, and the stupid technician/grease monkey, forgot to put the drain plug back in. So she went driving down the street, and after a while, a lot of smoke out of the tail pipe, then knocking, and the KAPUTZ. They had to buy her a new engine for that POS Saturn. I will NEVER go to a quickie oil change place for my BABY!

    Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

  11. #10
    Registered User verbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    1,151
    Originally posted by KurleeDaddeeWRX


    I know you guys are thinking, TYPICAL CALIFORNIAN RESPONSE to changing oil out there in the midwest during the winter. And I sympathize with you. Maybe you are just better off taking it to the dealer and having them do it RIGHT, for a little more money than the quick change oil places.

    I just don't trust these quickie oil change places at all. When my mom had a Saturn, she took it to Jiffy Lube, and the stupid technician/grease monkey, forgot to put the drain plug back in. So she went driving down the street, and after a while, a lot of smoke out of the tail pipe, then knocking, and the KAPUTZ. They had to buy her a new engine for that POS Saturn. I will NEVER go to a quickie oil change place for my BABY!

    Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)
    I would goto my dealer, but he's about 30-45 minutes away.

    If thats all it takes to get a new engine, whats the problem? =) Why would you turn down a NEW engine?

  12. #11
    Registered User droogie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    694
    I was wondering when you guys did your own oil changes do you also have to lube the suspension? The weather here in Rochester is similar to Michigan, about 5 inches tonight. My local dealer charges 16.99, not to bad. Since I don't have a subie yet I don't know about the wait. When I test drove a WRX the other day I asked about the oil changes in case you are wondering.

  13. #12
    Registered User QuickSilver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,294
    I've changed my oil 3 times now and have not lubed the suspension. I didn't know people did that. Is it because it creeks in the cold? If so, I haven't heard any creeks.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

  14. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    7
    I was wondering when you guys did your own oil changes do you also have to lube the suspension?
    This is my only concern for doing it at home... I don't have a grease gun, nor have the experience to know exactly what to do even if I did have one.

    As for the quicky places, you really do need to keep an eye out. One of my mechanically challenged friends was forced to learn how to change his oil after they screwed up his car twice... on one occasion, after pulling the plug, they put a new gasket on the plug... only problem, the old gasket was stuck to the engine result: two gaskets and a bad leak. Second incident was almost identical except in involved the gasket on the filter.

    For those DIY folks (who aren't using a pump to drain), what do you use to get your car up? Do you just jack it up? Put it on ramps? Does all the oil drain effectively when elevated only from one end? ---don't tell me that any of you actually has a lift in your garage

  15. #14
    Moderating U! KurleeDaddeeWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,317
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by WRXorcist


    This is my only concern for doing it at home... I don't have a grease gun, nor have the experience to know exactly what to do even if I did have one.

    As for the quicky places, you really do need to keep an eye out. One of my mechanically challenged friends was forced to learn how to change his oil after they screwed up his car twice... on one occasion, after pulling the plug, they put a new gasket on the plug... only problem, the old gasket was stuck to the engine result: two gaskets and a bad leak. Second incident was almost identical except in involved the gasket on the filter.

    For those DIY folks (who aren't using a pump to drain), what do you use to get your car up? Do you just jack it up? Put it on ramps? Does all the oil drain effectively when elevated only from one end? ---don't tell me that any of you actually has a lift in your garage
    Thanks you guys for bringing up the question of greasing the suspension fittings. I didn't even think of that.

    You can buy grease guns at the auto parts store for probably a little over $10-15. The grease gun has a hose connected to the end with a small metal fitting at the end. This small metal fitting is placed on the nipple of the suspension piece you want to add extra grease to. Right off hand, the only one I can think of that MAY needsgrease regularly is the ball joints. Please someone help me out with more suspension pieced that need to be greased. I don't even know if you need to grease suspension parts on newer cars. Sorry, I came from 60's muscle cars.

    I use a floor jack. You can get a good one and a set of sturdy 2 or 4 ton jack stands for around $100. But if you car is stock height, you don't even need to jack up the car.(I used to do my oil changes on my WRX without a jack until I lowered it.) I think I may invest in an extra low profile jack, so it is easier to get underneath the car and into place, without scraping the plastic under pieces.

    Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •