Probelm with Engine need help (Valve, Lifters?)

This is a discussion on Probelm with Engine need help (Valve, Lifters?) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello everyone im new to the forum but just bought a wrx and pulled a stupid shift from 70 or ...

Probelm with Engine need help (Valve, Lifters?)

Hello everyone im new to the forum but just bought a wrx and pulled a stupid shift from 70 or so into third gear and the RPM went to 6k ... Afterwards I stopped the car to check to see if any sign of tapping noise and as soon as i opened the hood and reved the car a bit i heard the tapping sound. Could it be the valve, lifters? Only have 4k on the poor baby and feel pretty bad. Do you think Subaru will cover me even if it was over reved? Sorry about all the questions. Feel free to add any more info.. Thank you vey much for you help..
    Andres
    2001 WRX Red

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    only 6k? that shouldn't be a problem, the rev limiter is at 7.1k, I've hit it a few times and never had a problem.. I've read that it can even be increased to 7.6k with out hurting anything

PS. my engine has always made weird clicking/tapping noises.. tho I'm not sure if this is normal
    Last edited by MainFrame; 11-24-2002 at 09:29 PM.

To tell you the truth the WRX boxer style engine does make standard tapping noise but .. i can tell its a valve or something.It sounds different than before. You should get your engine checked also just in case.

6k? I hit 7k rpm on a pretty regular (just shy of daily) basis in my WRX!

The tapping is rpm dependent?

Does the volume of the tapping change with engine rpm?

How long has it been since it started?

Does hot or cold matter?
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

You can hear the tappin clearly when neutral. It doesnt really matter if it's hot or cold. It started ever since that messed up shift i pulled into third from 70 mph (Dont ask me why i did this i was sleepy) O by the way im new to the forum want to thank you guys for helping me out. I didnt get much of a response from other people.

Hey man, I'm no expert but I have had my car up around 85 in third, whaling up hill, and haven't trashed anything (that I know of ) You mentioned that you already know the boxer engine makes a sort of ticking sound naturally, but what makes it different from before? I know this is stupid, but have you checked your oil level cause someimntes that may contribute. Sorry I can't offer anything definitive. Since it's still so new, take it to the dealer and ask the service guy to listen. Have them start up another rex and see if there's a difference either of you can notice. Good luck
    ++++++++++++++++++++

Sedona Red Wagon, Nicely Tinted

Thule Bike RackS

Sounds like something loosened up. Is the car modded? Maybe a trip to the dealer for peace of mind?
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by MetaLFaceDoom
    It started ever since that messed up shift i pulled into third from 70 mph (Dont ask me why i did this i was sleepy)
    mine will do 60 in 2nd, I don't think 70 in 3rd would hurt anything.. I would aslo say check your oil level..

Thanks guys for all your answers... I remember my pops telling me to be careful of shifting backwards and making the revs to high he would tell me it causes the car to stress and the valves to get messed up(happend to his E46 M3) but those things are known to have problems with lifters and valves..THANKS AGAIN!

My car has a bov, and intake.(Stage 4 soon) I checked the oil level looks nice clean, and full. Im taking it to Big Valley Subaru in Van Nuys. Thanks