Oil consumption - more or less normal? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Oil consumption - more or less normal? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Using M1 since 3000 miles (15000+ now) and haven't noticed any oil consumption at all and I check everyday I ...

Using M1 since 3000 miles (15000+ now) and haven't noticed any oil consumption at all and I check everyday I drive it.
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99 View Post
    205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have been using Mobile one since 1500 miles. I noticed that the engine consumed a bit (prolly about 1/2 quart) for the first oil change. After that there has been no consumtion to speak of. I am at 12K now with no problems.

Oil Usage

My 03 WRX lost about 2-3 quarts of oil in 29 days, about 2,200 miles. Had a little smoke (oil) from intake Sunday, dealership says to allow 1 qt usage per 1,000 miles. I'm nervous. They're doing a dye test to see if they're's aleak, no oil on ground under car. What would cause a couple drops oif oil to hit the the exhaust pipe? Hasn't happened since but I don't think it's right.

I Support ClubWRX
    Maybe a leak near the turbo, or the turbo oil line, or the valve cover or PCV on that side of the motor. Have a close look at the car while cold and using a flashlight if you're curious.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

LOW LOW Oil

I rolled the car out of the garage this morning to wash it and decided to check the oil before I started anything. It was below the L mark, WTF!!!! Last week I checked it after work and the car had cooled for at least 4 hours and it was near the L. The strange thing was I added half a quart, started it shut it off and let it sit again and then the dipstick read past the F mark. I don't want to add any oil today and then find out it is overfull again like last week, WTF!!!!!!!!!! BTW I run Mobil 1 synthetic 10W30, and this is the second time since last week it has done this. The car has 87,000 miles on it. I have no oil leaks under the car, the filter is tight, the drain plug is tight, there is no oil burning on any exhaust pipes, and last but not least my tail pipe looks normal. WTF, please give me some insight.

I usually check mine when I am filling up at the gas station. I will start filling my car and then after I am done pumping the gas I will check the oil before I leave the gas station. The area by the gas pumps is allways nice and level. I have found the subaru dipstick to be picky about the level of the ground. If you are on a slight incline it won't really read anything but if your on a level surface it will read ok.

I Support ClubWRX
    Mobil 1 5W-40 FTW! I burned a little M1 5W-30 every 5,000 miles (about 1/2 qt.), but that's fine with me. The 5W-40 hasn't burned off at all so far and the car runs beautifully.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

I Support ClubWRX

All good things...

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    Mobil 1 5W-40 FTW!
    Can you find the stuff over there? In my area it's gone extinct and I see their new 5W-30 T/SUV non-diesel stuff instead. I switched to 0W-40 since Delvac1 is too hard to come by around here.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by GetawayInBouldr
    Just thought I'd ad my experience...

I'm at 30k now on my 04 WRX. I've been using Mobil 1 5w-30 ever since 2000 miles and I've never had any consumption problems until my last oil change at 28k. I was a little over a quart low, so I've been monitoring it a lot more lately.
    Thats when I started to use a Q in between changes. Now I have 46k miles...still use a Q in between. Been using Mobil 1 5w-30 since new.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    Can you find the stuff over there? In my area it's gone extinct and I see their new 5W-30 T/SUV non-diesel stuff instead. I switched to 0W-40 since Delvac1 is too hard to come by around here.
    I was able to find the 5W-40 "Truck & SUV" oil by the quart at Checker. Perhaps these were old bottles. I think so because they changed T/SUV to 5W-30, right?

If so, bring back teh 5W-40!!!
    "Did you sleep well?"
    -- Steven Wright

I Support ClubWRX
    I was able to find the 5W-40 "Truck & SUV" oil by the quart at Checker. Perhaps these were old bottles. I think so because they changed T/SUV to 5W-30, right?
    Right, I'm sad to say... I think the 5W-40 was their finest product, a disguised Delvac1. A true flagship product. Maybe it has to do with the API SM spec being ushered in.

I moved to the 0W-40. It has a different additive package than the Delvac/SUV stuff but it is an ACEA A3 oil and MB 229.5, BMW Long life 2002, VW 505.x so it's not crisco or anything. It ought to work out fine, but I don't know about consumption yet. We'll see.

I'm sure AZ is refreshing this time of year, eh?...

I Support ClubWRX
    The 0W-40 looks intriguing, I wonder how it'll do in the heat here?

Speaking of the heat, it's getting very refreshing! It was around 102 degrees today and it's only up from here until October or so. At least I'll be indoors studying 12+ hours per day for the next five weeks. Oh wait, that's not good.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    -- Steven Wright

I Support ClubWRX
    The 0W-40 looks intriguing, I wonder how it'll do in the heat here?
    It's a 40-weight and it's ACEA A3, so it's tough stuff. It should do fine; note, however, that they seem to have formulated specifically for ACEA A3, kind of like teaching for the test. ACEA tests viscosity at the beginning and the end, so the 0W-40 starts as a 40, then apparently thins down to a mid-30, then as it ages it thickens up again to a 40 so when they sample at the end, it's a legit 40 and makes A3. Go figure. Many people are irritated by this apparent inability to stay in grade, but then again many respected OEMs use the stuff in co$tly cars from day 1, and it meets MB229.5 which is tough too.

The mid-life crisis thinning may mean more consumption around 3500 miles I guess, but I don't know; by extension, I'd then expect less consumption at 5,000 miles. All still guesses at this point.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.