metal shavings in trany & diff
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on metal shavings in trany & diff within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; just changed my transmission and rear differential oil and there was a considerable amount of metal shavings on the drain ...

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

Angry metal shavings in trany & diff

just changed my transmission and rear differential oil and there was a considerable amount of metal shavings on the drain plug for both. Is this normal from break in? The differential oil looked pretty murky too... car has 12,000 miles on it

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: metal shavings in trany & diff

Originally posted by MainFrame
    just changed my transmission and rear differential oil and there was a considerable amount of metal shavings on the drain plug for both. Is this normal from break in? The differential oil looked pretty murky too... car has 12,000 miles on it
    I'd say it's pretty normal, however I don't know what your definition of "considerable" is. It is quite normal to have metal shavings show up in the oil. At least you know it's not in there anymore!
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

well.. the whole magnet was covered, maybe 1/4" deep, with shavings sticking off the end... I tried to take pics, but I couldn't get a good perspective

my first thought that it was just from break in, but I wanted to make sure, since I bought the car used.

Fear not - these shavings are normal for break in period. They come off of the ends of the synchros. They will continue to show up at every change of the gear oil.

BTW - youre probably aware of this, but you really only need to change the oil in the tranny and dif every 30k.

Speed safely,

Joe
    merlin916@aol.com
    "Damn.... this car is wicked fast..." ~ My roomate, owner of a supercharged/intercooled 97 Trans AM
    Mods |

Originally posted by NJSubieTech
    BTW - youre probably aware of this, but you really only need to change the oil in the tranny and dif every 30k.

yea, I just wanted to get some good synthetics in there as soon as it was broken in

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.