Battery Keeps Dying?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Battery Keeps Dying? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Fairly recently I replaced my OEM battery with a new one. I haven't driven it for a few weeks and ...

Battery Keeps Dying?

Fairly recently I replaced my OEM battery with a new one. I haven't driven it for a few weeks and I noticed that it had died. The weather is quite nice here, so its not like the cold would drain it. I've checked all my interior lights to make sure they're not on, the headlights are off (not like it matters) so my question is what could be draining the battery?! Its pretty frustrating having to jump my car every time I need it.

For reference, the only real interior mods are a aftermarket headunit and some gauges.
    2005 CGM STi

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by iMP|2EZiONS
    Fairly recently I replaced my OEM battery with a new one. I haven't driven it for a few weeks and I noticed that it had died. The weather is quite nice here, so its not like the cold would drain it. I've checked all my interior lights to make sure they're not on, the headlights are off (not like it matters) so my question is what could be draining the battery?! Its pretty frustrating having to jump my car every time I need it.

For reference, the only real interior mods are a aftermarket headunit and some gauges.
    your alternator or some other part of the charging system might be shot. Maybe its not a matter of your battery getting drained, but a matter of your battery not getting recharged?

do you have an aftermarket alarm? turbo timer? something plugged into an always-on accessory plug?

what did you wire your gauges and stereo to? are you sure they're running off switched power?
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Thanks for the reply. The gauges are wired into where the clock used to be on the dash, and the headunit was all plug and play with the stock components. No turbo timer, or upgraded alarm system, hence why I usually take the head unit out of the car too so it doesn't get stolen . Any ideas on how I'd find out if somethings bad with the whole charging system? Its just odd to me that this is starting to happen, Maybe I didn't notice it as much when I drove my car a lot more cause it was constantly getting recharged.
    2005 CGM STi

Thanks for the reply. The gauges are wired into where the clock used to be on the dash, and the headunit was all plug and play with the stock components. No turbo timer, or upgraded alarm system, hence why I usually take the head unit out of the car too so it doesn't get stolen . Any ideas on how I'd find out if somethings bad with the whole charging system? Its just odd to me that this is starting to happen, Maybe I didn't notice it as much when I drove my car a lot more cause it was constantly getting recharged.
    not sure. have a mechanic check it?

on older cars you can start them, and disconnect the battery to see if they continue to run...if the alternator works they should keep running. don't know if that works on new cars.
    go f*** yourself

I had this problem too. Battery went after 2 yrs.
    Have you been using the radio alot when the car isn't running?
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!
    I have 5 infraction points. What do you have?

If you tapped your gauges into your clock power, then it is constantly powered. Can you still use the memory functions of your gauges with no key in the ignition? If so, then the gauges are probably your drain. I had the same problem. I had to connect it to accessory power and then the drain went bye bye!

the clock has 2 sets of wires....one for time power (always on) and one for the display (dimmed). If you did it right you should have dimming gagues

also - the ORIGINAL battery is not sealed!!! it requires water to be added.
    go f*** yourself

Hmm I honestly can't remember which wires I tapped into. They don't have a memory feature, they're the Blitz BLM. I know that whenever I lock or unlock the car the gauges actually flash on then off, would that mean they're wired into the constant or the accessory? I haven't really used my radio that much cause I haven't driven it in a while. Thanks for the replies.
    2005 CGM STi

that sounds like you did it right..I'm not sure how your particular gauges are wired, but usually, you have 1 set of wires for "power" and 1 set for "lights" and one signal wire. Usually, you just tap the connector behind the radio that's used to power your OEM tripple gauge pod or OEM boost gauge for the lights, and the power port for the switched gauge power. still, I just don't see your gauges eating enough power to kill your battery...even in 2 weeks.

I'd check if your alternator is charging...where I live, Pep Boys will check your battery/charging system for free. of you got a bum battery, you should still be able to get it replaced.
    go f*** yourself

Yeah I'm going to have it checked out sometime this week and see if I can resolve this. Its pretty annoying. I'll also double check my wiring to see if it really is on a accessory. I agree, I can't see my gauges killing the battery that quickly either. I'll keep you guys updated on the issue.
    2005 CGM STi

Yeah I'm going to have it checked out sometime this week and see if I can resolve this. Its pretty annoying. I'll also double check my wiring to see if it really is on a accessory. I agree, I can't see my gauges killing the battery that quickly either. I'll keep you guys updated on the issue.
    I wired it to constant and the car consistently died if not driven every 3 days. I had the alternator checked out at Autozone and it turned out to be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by prspect06
    I wired it to constant and the car consistently died if not driven every 3 days. I had the alternator checked out at Autozone and it turned out to be fine.
    Ok thanks for the info. Quick question, when you lock or unlock your car do your gauges light up for a second and turn off?
    2005 CGM STi

Ok thanks for the info. Quick question, when you lock or unlock your car do your gauges light up for a second and turn off?
    the lights in the gauges do because mine are wired into the dimmable dash power...and the flashing exterior lights will flash the dash lights (when you turn the alarm on/off)..however, the gauges themselves to not power on until I turn the key to ACC position.
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    the lights in the gauges do because mine are wired into the dimmable dash power...and the flashing exterior lights will flash the dash lights (when you turn the alarm on/off)..however, the gauges themselves to not power on until I turn the key to ACC position.
    Ok, I'm going to have to find out what I wired into somehow. My gauges turn on when I switch the key to ACC too, and light up when I turn on my headlights. They also flash when I switch on or off the alarm like you said.
    2005 CGM STi

Bump.

So I'm heading home for the weekend and I'd like to resolve this problem for the summer. Is there a way to actually check if I wired into the constant or accessory? Or some way to figure out what I did exactly? Thanks guys!
    2005 CGM STi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.