Battery Keeps Dying? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Battery Keeps Dying? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by iMP|2EZiONS Bump. So I'm heading home for the weekend and I'd like to resolve this problem for ...

Quote Originally Posted by iMP|2EZiONS
    Bump.

So I'm heading home for the weekend and I'd like to resolve this problem for the summer. Is there a way to actually check if I wired into the constant or accessory? Or some way to figure out what I did exactly? Thanks guys!
    ok...how many wires on your gauges?

2 for lights
    2 for power
    1 for sender?

also, do you still have the stock battery?
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    ok...how many wires on your gauges?

2 for lights
    2 for power
    1 for sender?

also, do you still have the stock battery?
    Ok I have 3 gauges they all have black to ground, red to ignition (ACC switched power), yellow to illumination, and orange for a memory function (which my gauges don't have) therefore I taped it off. Nope the battery isn't stock.
    2005 CGM STi

Ok I have 3 gauges they all have black to ground, red to ignition (ACC switched power), yellow to illumination, and orange for a memory function (which my gauges don't have) therefore I taped it off. Nope the battery isn't stock.
    ok, it sounds like you have your illumination hooked up right because the gauges flash when you unlock your car...

when you turn off your car, do the gauges STOP working?
    go f*** yourself

ok, it sounds like you have your illumination hooked up right because the gauges flash when you unlock your car...

when you turn off your car, do the gauges STOP working?
    I'm almost positive that they stop working, I know the boost stops, I'm not too sure about the EGT and Oil Temp. I'm going to have my dad check and see if they do infact stop working.
    2005 CGM STi

I'm almost positive that they stop working, I know the boost stops, I'm not too sure about the EGT and Oil Temp. I'm going to have my dad check and see if they do infact stop working.
    well boost stops working because when the motor off, its at 0 PSI

if your other gauges don't stop working when you shut off the car, then they're wired to constant power...
    go f*** yourself

well boost stops working because when the motor off, its at 0 PSI

if your other gauges don't stop working when you shut off the car, then they're wired to constant power...
    yeah I didn't think that'd help much. It was worth a try. I'll have an answer later today whether or not they shut off. Thanks for the help man, I appriciate it.
    2005 CGM STi

kind of a dumb question/thought, but on the column of your car by the steering wheel is that goofy parking light switch that does not turn on the interior dash lights, but does turn on the parking lights on the outside of the. if that was accidentally hit when you were cleaning or hooking things up, it will definitely drain your battery. We have at least one person a day call and say their battery is dead and they dont know why. most of the time is it because they somehow hit that little button there and didnt know it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

Quote Originally Posted by GraysonSubaru
    kind of a dumb question/thought, but on the column of your car by the steering wheel is that goofy parking light switch that does not turn on the interior dash lights, but does turn on the parking lights on the outside of the. if that was accidentally hit when you were cleaning or hooking things up, it will definitely drain your battery. We have at least one person a day call and say their battery is dead and they dont know why. most of the time is it because they somehow hit that little button there and didnt know it.
    Hahaha I actually did check to see if that was on. I remember reading about mysterious battery deaths and that was one of the biggest causes. So it was actually one of the first things I checked.
    2005 CGM STi

Hahaha I actually did check to see if that was on. I remember reading about mysterious battery deaths and that was one of the biggest causes. So it was actually one of the first things I checked.
    I'm sure you would have noticed by now if your parking lights are always on
    go f*** yourself

I'm sort've having this problem, but it's not what I would consider typical.

I did my guages a month ago, no problems.

One morning my car just wouldn't turn over, sounded like your typical weak battery. Jumped it and all was fine. Fast forward to yesterday night and my roommate knocks on my door while I'm on the ****ter and tells me my alarm is going off. 10 secs later the alarm stops, I then press the disarm button and the parking lights just turn on for about 10 secs solid and that's it, no flicker or cabin light, or dash lights come on. my security light also flashed twice. And then it wouldn't crank. I then checked my battery and the water level was about mid-level. I'm not sure what it should be at, though. And I checked both times to make sure nothing was left on, and I'm positive I wired my gauges properly.

So what could this be? Dead alternator, battery, or is the water level just low?

Quote Originally Posted by Chunks
    I'm sort've having this problem, but it's not what I would consider typical.

I did my guages a month ago, no problems.

One morning my car just wouldn't turn over, sounded like your typical weak battery. Jumped it and all was fine. Fast forward to yesterday night and my roommate knocks on my door while I'm on the ****ter and tells me my alarm is going off. 10 secs later the alarm stops, I then press the disarm button and the parking lights just turn on for about 10 secs solid and that's it, no flicker or cabin light, or dash lights come on. my security light also flashed twice. And then it wouldn't crank. I then checked my battery and the water level was about mid-level. I'm not sure what it should be at, though. And I checked both times to make sure nothing was left on, and I'm positive I wired my gauges properly.

So what could this be? Dead alternator, battery, or is the water level just low?
    low battery could certainly cause relays to operate imporperly. I don't know what the water level SHOULD be...call the dealer and ask. I didn't realize the battery wasn't sealed until it started getting flaky and I just replaced it.
    go f*** yourself

Ok I just checked my gauges and I'm pretty sure they're wired into the constant. The EGT and Oil Temp both still read numbers when the car is completely shut off. They don't fall down to zero. In the meantime I'm charging my battery so I don't have to jump it every damn time.
    2005 CGM STi

Ok I just checked my gauges and I'm pretty sure they're wired into the constant. The EGT and Oil Temp both still read numbers when the car is completely shut off. They don't fall down to zero.
    well, that would certainly drain your battery over time. you gotta re-wire those things. I tapped my cigarette lighter for my gauges with some vampire clips.
    go f*** yourself

Ok I finally fixed it, I ended up tapping my hazard light switch with a vampire clip and it works great. I checked to make sure everything shut down properly, they illuminate whenever my headlights are on. So I think everythings fixed. Thanks for the help everyone. Blarg, thanks for helping me figure out what was wrong in the first place.
    2005 CGM STi

If that doesn't work, it could be that your battery wasn't properly prepared in the first place. Batteries are shipped dry to the store, both conventional and maintenance free ones. When a customer buys one, the shop is supposed to fill it up with the correct electrolytes, let it settle for an hour, refill to the correct level, then charge it up. Battery life greatly depends on how well this is done. I've had my OEM battery for almost 100k miles now.
    Batmobile: 2002 WRX wagon RIP

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.