Warranty question. My tranny blew up today!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Warranty question. My tranny blew up today!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was driving along today came to a stop and then when it was time to go I put it ...

Warranty question. My tranny blew up today!!!

I was driving along today came to a stop and then when it was time to go I put it in first then into 2nd and all of a sudden it sounded like my transmission was made out of lose rocks. I took it to the dealer and they soon showed me pictures of wrecked WRX transmissions and then the guy says that even tho my car is still under warranty that they prolly wont honor the warranty do to possible abuse. I hear that if you back down with them then you WILL PAY the $5,000 in repairs. Anyone here have any problems like this??? Any information on how to deal with this would be very helpfull, websites, phone #'s. Anything!

Thanx

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

this is why you dont race '02's with stock tranny's. They don't break from "just driving" them, they break when you abuse them, which is why they may not honor the warrantee...
    New England F4
    www.OddTopic.net - my pet project, come say hello!
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

Depending on how much you or the previous owner beat on the car, the tranny was just the weak link. Maybe just a few too many launches, powershifts, etc. If I were to get an early bugeye I would want the transmission looked at beforehand. But I guess its a bit late for that now. Plan on spending the bucks to get it fixed. My guess is that they will find all sorts of sheared off teeth when they open it up, a pretty good sign that it has been abused either by launches or horrid shifting. Best of luck.
    2005 WRB WRX Stage 2
    Blobeye Syndicate #76
    A Must Read http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...do-not-do.html

As far as teeth being sheared off, wouldnt I have heard something as that occured or once in a while maybe here a noise or something with those parts flying around? And the fact that it broke today, wouldnt that cause more physical damage to the tranny as I was hearing it grind and fall apart? I mean wouldnt pieces be chewing off other teeth as it broke and I heard that horrible crunching sound. Just asking because I want to be prepared when I go in. Its a 2004 by the way. I've also got the access port installed and wonder if they will detect that. Thanx again for the replys guys

I broke mine on my 05. They picked up most of the cost, i paid like three hundred and some, maybe four. The dealer also said it was abuse. MIne was the reverse gear. It gave out while i was backing out of the drive way with like 6 thousand and some miles. It was hard to get in reverse since day one. Since the repair i havent had any problems, and i'm at stage 2 now.
    Blobeye Syndicate #26

'05 2.0l WRX, 245awhp, 243awtq. Cobb Stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by lonedw86
    I broke mine on my 05. They picked up most of the cost, i paid like three hundred and some, maybe four. The dealer also said it was abuse. MIne was the reverse gear. It gave out while i was backing out of the drive way with like 6 thousand and some miles. It was hard to get in reverse since day one. Since the repair i havent had any problems, and i'm at stage 2 now.
    It had to have been abuse due to all those backwards 6000 RPM launches, right?

The dealership and SOA will continually deny warranty coverage and claim abuse regardless, just to scare you. By law, it is their responsibility to prove that what damaged the tranny was abuse. Judging by the thousands of reports of broken transmissions, I'd say you have a good case for claiming that the tranny is just poorly designed, and can't live up to normal driving conditions. It's your word against thiers, and if you are persistent enough without going over the edge (my problem) then you may convince them to do the work under warranty.

Or you could drive your car into the dealership and light it on fire. I think it worked pretty well for this guy.

http://www.wimp.com/angrysale/

Sorry to hear about your tranny. Hope SOA does right by you, but if I was in your boat I would just take it elsewhere and have a better tranny put in for the same or less cost.
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99 View Post
    205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...

Quote Originally Posted by VVVV
    It had to have been abuse due to all those backwards 6000 RPM launches, right?

Or maybe it was me trying to pratice cruising on the highway backwards like paul walker.
    Blobeye Syndicate #26

'05 2.0l WRX, 245awhp, 243awtq. Cobb Stage 2

www.gruppe-s.com talk to preson i have a built tranny from them works great i would recomend the stock 5th gear and the moded 4th i have the stock sti v6 tranny get crappy milage highway good luck tell subaru to put it in for free. thats what i did

I've been talking to Subaru and they have been standing their ground saying that this is the current policy. So I told them "So what you are telling me is that I need to get a lawyer" and they said well you do what you need to do. I do beat on it but I dont race it. I feel that if its a sports car then it should come equipped with justifiable parts. And thanx again for the info, it's boosting my confidence a little as I am not backing down and am seeking help from The Attorney Generals office since they fight for free for consumers. At least thats what I'm told. I'll try to keep from dropping the clutch in reverse and maybe I should stop down shifting from 5th into 1st gear from now on. HA! Oh and one last thing. How long did you guys have to fight them to get them to do it? This happend late Wednesday

I'm assuming all you have done is talk to the dealer. You're going to need to
    go a little higher up the food chain. I'm thinking SOA's traveling Customer
    Service/Warranty person. Provided you haven't spun up the dealer too much,
    they should be able to "fetch" the attention of the warranty czar. If the dealer
    is not being cooperative, just call Cherry Hill. You're looking for the CDS
    folks. (800-782-2783)
    I know because I've been through the procedure on my '02 WRX's tranny.
    I also did warranty review and writeup at the regional level for General Motors
    back when I worked for them, so I'm used to bureaucratic redtape.....

How many dealers are in your area? I've heard stories of some dealers being more forgiving than others. Try taking a trip to another dealership.

WHAT?!?!?! How did your REVERSE gear go out??? Like the other guy said sarcastically, "it had to have been abuse from those 6000 RPM launches in REVERSE" (I'm not making fun of you). I can't believe how the dealer would call that abuse. Please, any tranny expert correct me if I am wrong right now, but I don't think it's possible for anyone's REVERSE to go out from abusing the 5 (if that) forward gears. Well, at least u only paid a couple hundred. It could've been worse.

Or maybe it was me trying to pratice cruising on the highway backwards like paul walker.
    LMAO!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by speeddr2000
    www.gruppe-s.com talk to preson i have a built tranny from them works great i would recomend the stock 5th gear and the moded 4th i have the stock sti v6 tranny get crappy milage highway good luck tell subaru to put it in for free. thats what i did
    Hey is that the 5-speed STI??? 'Cause that's the one that I have and I get crappy mileage too. I forgot to consider that before I got it since it's a short ratio. But it's great on acceleration though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast