Metal clunk when appling breaks while reversing..
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Metal clunk when appling breaks while reversing.. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Alright I have been driving with this noise ever since I could remember.... it sounds like you would bash to ...

Metal clunk when appling breaks while reversing..

Alright I have been driving with this noise ever since I could remember.... it sounds like you would bash to metal pieces together whenever I back up and as I am rolling back I apply the brake. I thought at first that its the brake pads, that they are not seated right, I got scared and took my wheel off to take a look. AND nothing the pads look like they are fitted nice and snug, I don't hear this ever when going forward or when getting on my brakes real hard. I have changed out the pads twice with this and the noise is still there, I thought that it may be the swaybar? Or as my dad suggested its in the tranny because it only seems to happen when I am rolling with the clutch pressed in and hitting the brake. Its starting to really annoy me, so has any one have this problem before. I haven't seen and threads about it, or maybe I just missed it. Oh and it sounds like it comming from the front right side of the car. It sounds vague but I figured I finally ask for any suggestions. Thanks
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

the only thing i can think of that the pads are shifting when you stop in reverse. The placement of the calipers relative to the rotor are aimed for forward driving, thus when you reverse, the rear pads will actually lift off the caliper (towards the outer circumference of the rotor). There are clips, or perhaps one clip depending on the brakes you have, that hold the pads in place. These aren't required, they don't do anything except eliminate that noise(the pads can't actually come out of the caliper all the way), and because some careless shops and DIYourselfers tend to leave these out. other than that i'm stumped, but hopefully i'm right cuz the clips are like $5, way cheaper than any driveline part. check it out, hope this helps.
    New England F4
    If you're not shifting, you're just riding.

I totalled my WRX

you know what thats the only reasonable explanation for this to be however the last set of pads came with the little clips on them and I didn't take them off, but now I am wondering wheather I took them off or not, or maybe I installed them incorrectly. I will check it out.. thanks for the input.

Kartboy short shifter

no prob......there should be two different clips on the rears, the anti-rattle clips, which come with new pads(or should anyway), and they go in between the shoulders of the pad, and the slots in the calipers in which they slide. The other clips(the one's i think you may be missing) are on top, or the outside of the caliper, and those i believe come only with a rear brake hardware kit, because they aren't typically replaced-they rarely ever go bad. I could be wrong though, scooby might sell them individually.
    New England F4
    If you're not shifting, you're just riding.

I totalled my WRX

I haven't had a chance to look at it yet

1. Busy at work.
    2. To lazy.

I'll update once I find out if that is it.

Kartboy short shifter

I have the same clunk.... First thing I thought was brakes too. I was going to go home and take a look at them. Keep us posted, I'd really be interested to what the problem actually is. The guy I bought it from said something about the brakes being changed recently. I wonder if the "clips" are missing?

-Tim

I have an aftermarket BBK that makes this noise all the time. Mostly when braking in reverse, and sometimes at low speed stops. Just the pad moving slightly in the caliper is what I was told.
    2002 White WRX Sedan
    Mods by Mastercard

My hawk pads do the same thing
    2005 WRB STI

hmm....I got a chance to take off my wheels and inspect the assembly, nothing out of the ordinary, the pads are fit nice and snug I have the clips on the pads but when I put it back I still had the noise. So I had my sister drive the car back and forth in the driveway while I was right next to the wheel well and I heard the clunk but it sounded like its comming from the tranny itself. My dad told me that in the old days there was an adjustment on the tranny but he was talking about the clutch, I don't think thats it. Anyways it only does it when I reverse and then go forward and hit the brake 1 time, then it goes away. It can't be anything serious since I have been driving with it for like 20k miles. Oh well... it still could be the inside pads that make the noise and I can't see that so .

Kartboy short shifter

Alright after my front rotors warped I got a new set and while I was changing out the rotors I also got some brake quiet and that has solved the backing up problem. Now a new issue is that the noise started to happen whenever I apply the brakes going forwards, and some times its more noticeable and sometimes less. I am thinking that it may be a swaybar bushing so some other bushing that is making that noise now. I sounds like its only coming from the right front of the car. The search continues....

Kartboy short shifter

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.