Check engine light on for 02 WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Check engine light on for 02 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The code is P0546 which is the exaust temp. sensor. My question is how to turn it off? I read ...

Exclamation Check engine light on for 02 WRX

The code is P0546 which is the exaust temp. sensor. My question is how to turn it off? I read about an exaust cel fix. Can anyone tell me what that is? The light came on today and the only thing I can think of is I took the silencer out of my Injen exaust yesterday. The car runs great though. I am a FNG so any help is much appriciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Bump

id take out the uppipe cat or buy a new uppipe and do the 2.2 ohm 1/2 watt resistor fix

Question

Would buying a catless up -pipe do the trick? And what is that resistor fix you are talking about, is there a thread on how to do it? Thanks

well before you disable it, you should find out WHY you're getting high EGT's. If you're running a stock uppipe and the EGT sensor in the uppipe is giving your a high EGT CEL, this is NOT a good thing. If you are running an MBC it probably means that you're in the process of cooking your motor.

when you post a question like that you should at least tell us what kind of car it is...(is it even a Subaru??) and list the mods.

generally, CEL's do not pop up just to keep you busy figuring out how to turn them off. you only want to disable CEL's AFTER you know what's causing them.
    Last edited by blarg; 04-18-2006 at 12:36 PM.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

it says int he subject 02 subaru wrx

Reply to Blarg

The car is an 02 WRX, and I don't have an MBC. Like I said in my original post. The light comes on when I take out my silencer in the tip of my exaust. I can turn the car on when it is cold and the light is on immediatly. Then I can put the silencer in and the light goes off right away. The light will also stay on for a coulpe of days then just go off for a day and so on. I thought the CEL was bogus because of that alone? I know CEL's dont just come on for no reason, but I have read that these cars can be really sensitive and give CEL's that aren't nessesary. I am still getting full boost and the car runs good. Alot better with the silencer off. I have been told to buy a COBB accesport and that would fix the problem. I purchased the car with the Vishnu uppipe on it already. It has an MRT intercooler and radiator. Blitz BOV, Axle back Blitz Injen exaust, Turbo timer, CAI. That's it. Any more advice is appriciated. Thanks
    Last edited by jsxr600; 04-19-2006 at 10:56 AM.

The light is coming on because some aspect is operating outside of the acceptable parameters of the stock ECU. the AP will help get rid of the light because it's maps are programmed specifically for mods like you have, if in fact it is a mod-related problem, and not a malfunctioning sensor or circuit or something.
    New England F4
    www.OddTopic.net - my pet project, come say hello!
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kush
    The light is coming on because some aspect is operating outside of the acceptable parameters of the stock ECU. the AP will help get rid of the light because it's maps are programmed specifically for mods like you have, if in fact it is a mod-related problem, and not a malfunctioning sensor or circuit or something.

...or someting actually wrong with your car.
    go f*** yourself

Sounds like I need an AP and there's nothing wrong with the car Blarg. It runs great. I just wanted to know if anyone else has ran into this problem. Oviously if the light goes off as soon as I put the silencer in when the car is COLD it's not running too hot

theres obviously SOMETHING wrong because it's operating outside of acceptable paramenters, or else the light wouldnt be coming on
    the AP won't solve your problem if the problem is not mod related, in which case you'll just have spent 600 bucks to fix the wrong thing.

PS - who said anything about running too hot?

I love when people ask questions and then argue with the answers they get
    Last edited by Kush; 04-19-2006 at 11:47 AM.
    New England F4
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kush
    theres obviously SOMETHING wrong because it's operating outside of acceptable paramenters, or else the light wouldnt be coming on
    the AP won't solve your problem if the problem is not mod related, in which case you'll just have spent 600 bucks to fix the wrong thing.
    Ok. How can the car be operating outside acceptable parameters when the light comes on as soon as i take out the silencer when the car is COLD. Oviously it is mod related and related to the silencer in my not stock exaust. I just want to know if I should still be driving it with the light on. It doesn't seem to be a legit CEL because of what I just said.

do you know what CEL it is?

it sounds like the reduction in backpressure (when you remove the silencer) is what's causing it...but have you had it scaned?

-edit.. i see P0546 and you have a Vinshu uppipe.

this is NORMAL. either get the resistor mod or AP. this is a catless upppipe-related code...and you have a catless uppipe.
    Last edited by blarg; 04-19-2006 at 11:52 AM.
    go f*** yourself

Yeah, he said it was an EGT sensor code...
    New England F4
    '02 BUGEYE
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

From a post on Nasioc:

"The 0546 code indicates "EGT circuit high". This does NOT mean high EGTs, it actually means the opposite. The "high" refers to a high resistance reading from the EGT which corresponds to lower temps. Usually this code will set because the sensor has failed and is electrically open. "

Like I said above, it has nothing to do with running hot. Hope that helps explain it, in any case.
    New England F4
    '02 BUGEYE
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast