Running Light Wedge Bulb Replacement Writeup

This is a discussion on Running Light Wedge Bulb Replacement Writeup within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; After installing my Silverstar lightbulbs on my car, the wedge bulbs looked really yellow. So I decided to replace them ...

Running Light Wedge Bulb Replacement Writeup

After installing my Silverstar lightbulbs on my car, the wedge bulbs looked really yellow. So I decided to replace them with LED ones. After putting it off for months a burnt out wedge bulb forced me to do it. So here we go.
    Tools needed:
    Standard Screwdriver
    10mm Socket Wrench

I bought my bulbs from pepboys. They costed I think $7.00. To me LED lights are LED lights. So I bought the cheapest pair.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

First thing you need to do is remove the grill:

Nicely pull the four tabs up and pull the grill slightly out of those holes. Next on each side is a clip that you can see from the top on the far ends of the grill.

Just use a screwdriver and push the clip down the grill will then pop out.

Now we need to remove the rest of the grill. There is three pop-up clips on each one. Use the screw driver to pop them up and remove the hole thing. Now twist the side part a little and you'll see that all that is left is a spring clip. Just use the screwdriver for a little leverage and it should pop out. That what the arrow points to.

Like my horn?

Now we need to remove the headlight. First remove the bolts on the front.

Then the one on the top.

Pivot the headlight from the inside of the headlight. There is a Ball Stud thingy holding it in and should pop out. If you have to just wiggle it a bit. Don't force anything out. Also you don't have to completely remove the headlight.

Here is the headlight removed.

You can also see the ball stud thingy. Circled is the area of the bulb we're replacing (as if you couldn't figure it out).
    Twist counter-clockwise and the bulb will come out.

When installing LED bulbs, they will only work installed one way. They fit fine either way but the polarity needs to be correct. So when you install the new LEDs test them before reinstalling everything. If a bulb doesn't work, simply twist it around and test again. Should work.

Reinstall everything in reversal and your car shall be more happy. Here is the difference in color between standard bulb and LED.

As of now I don't think they are bright enough. You can hardly see them. Maybe it is because of the 194 bulbs I have and not the 168 or the cheap bulbs.We'll see how it looks at night when I get off of work tonight. My silverstars look yellow now but at night they are pretty white so maybe there will be a nice balance. I'm just happy that both sides of my lights match.

On a side note, you shouldn't have to realign your headlights. The bolts you take out have no bearing on adjustment. If you are worried about the slight chance that they might have slightly changed (which shouldn't be noticable), just line up the clean circle bolt pattern left on the plastic as you retighten.

hey guys,

i know this is an ancient thread, but i talked to a subby tech and he said they quick way they do it has something to do with pulling some of the clips off the fender liner and reaching it that way. they don't remove the headlights

this is probably made easier with a lift since the suspension will droop and give more access