Average cost for clutch replacement?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Average cost for clutch replacement? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Can anyone tell me how much the average cost for labor is for clutch replacement on the 02 wrx? Thanks. ...

Average cost for clutch replacement?

Can anyone tell me how much the average cost for labor is for clutch replacement on the 02 wrx? Thanks.

- Cliff, North Dakota.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

labor ~ $300...depends on their hourly rate...also depends on whether you're resurfacing the flywheel or buying a new one. New flywheel=less labor.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

What is one of the better flywheels out there these days for the price you pay?

depends on what you want. if you want "normal" flywheel, get an OEM. If you want a lighter one, it depends on your driving style. The lighter you go, the harder it will be to get your car moving from a stop. a 14-16lb Cro-Mo flywheel is probably the best-rounded option. A super-light flywheel (9 lb. will suck for a daily driver). Composite flywheels (all the aluminum, carbon, fancy alloys) are really made for racing...they're indented for frequent rebuilds and frequent replacing. The can frag on you.

Most lighter flywheels will trip misfire CEL's...the lighter you go, the more CELs you see.

generally when you buy the OEM clutch package (or have the dealer install the clutch, they will replace the flywheel as part of the deal...runs about $1200 with parts and labor.
    Last edited by blarg; 04-04-2006 at 07:05 PM.
    go f*** yourself

I'm going to eventually upgrade a lot of the parts and such. I just have no real knowledge of tranny stuff. But about 12lbs sounds like it would be about right in my area since it will still be daily driver.

i'd say 12 is still a bit light. i'd go with 14-16 lb....12 IS drivable, but might get old if you're sitting in traffic. depending on where you live, it might not be a good idea. Remember, you're also getting a "stickier" clutch...so not only if your flywheel lighter, but your clutch will grab better...so you're REALLY going to have to slip it a lot.
    go f*** yourself

When I replaced my clutch, it cost me about $800 total. I bought a SPEC Stage 2 clutch and had the mechanic resurface my original flywheel. It's a good combo, but it takes a while to get used to the new clutch feel. My wife still has the stock in her 02 WRX and I have to remember to go easier on the gas in her car.

On the plus side, the new clutch does an awesome job with launching.
    Bugeye Mafia #63

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.