2006 wrx oil change questions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2006 wrx oil change questions within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey.. yeah .. so I am feeling very n00b-like today and I have some questions. I'm at about 3100 miles ...

2006 wrx oil change questions

Hey.. yeah .. so I am feeling very n00b-like today and I have some questions.

I'm at about 3100 miles now in my 2006 wrx and I want to change the oil. I bought synthetic but now I am reading that I should use regular oil for the first 2-3 oil changes (10k miles).. which will make my dad happy at least. Should I just hang onto the synthetic I have, or should I return it? Does oil go bad sitting in the garage for a year?

On another note..
    I can't find what oil filter to buy. The books at the store are out of date and only have the filters for the years up to 2005.

What oil filter do I buy for the wrx? Is there a brand people recommend? Preferrably one I can get most places? I read some complaints about fram filters, but to be honest - I don't race or push my car too hard and they sell them in packs of four at BJs (wholesale) ..
    but yes.. oil filter part numbers for the 2006 wrx would be MUCH appreciated.
    - Anna

Wise men say forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish.Car.Bomb
    Hey.. yeah .. so I am feeling very n00b-like today and I have some questions.
    There's a great oil change sticky thread if you're interested. Many pages.

I'm at about 3100 miles now in my 2006 wrx and I want to change the oil.
    How do you like the car? How is the paint?

I bought synthetic but now I am reading that I should use regular oil for the first 2-3 oil changes (10k miles).. which will make my dad happy at least. Should I just hang onto the synthetic I have, or should I return it? Does oil go bad sitting in the garage for a year?
    The oil does not go bad. However, for warranty purposes, you need to be able to show routine required maintenance was performed at the correct intervals. This means dated receipts. If you keep the oil, your receipt will be a year old and therefore useless.

As to what oil to use, that's a personal decision. See the sticky thread for how SOA feel about synths and how users feel about them. I also have a thread out there about my used oil analysis, as do other users. This will give you real life data.

Either way, I'd get a receipt with a current date for every oil change and every filter.

On another note..
    I can't find what oil filter to buy. The books at the store are out of date and only have the filters for the years up to 2005.
    Try the works Subaru filters from a dealer. Buy them one at a time, keep the dated receipt, and also buy a new crush washer from the dealer. A few bucks more at most.

I have used Purolator in the past with no issues, though keep in mind that if the filter were to cause a failure, SOA will only care about it if the filter was a SOA part. This is unlikely but people are hit by lightning too.

The dealer will have a part number for your car. These change for a variety of reasons so the number you get might vary as will the size/shape/colour of the part. Recently, they've had a batch of leaky filters. I suspect they are all off the shelves by now though. You might ask. Check scoobymods for a TSB about the filters or search here or on NASIOC for the part number to look out for (steer away or ask: are you aware of the TSB? etc. at the counter).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    +1 for using the Subaru filter. Guy on nasioc had 8k miles on new LGT. The motor went south while he was going down the highway. Only aftermarket part on the car was an oil filter. Guy had all reciepts that oil changes were done. SOA is/was giving him a hard time because in there mind the oil filter could be the cause of the damage and wanted him to pay a 1,000 dollars for them to pull/inspect the motor.

IMHO if you paid over 20k for your new car it's worth spending an extra 3-4 bucks for a good oil filter. The crush washer is also a good idea as they can leak over time. I plan on switching to syn. oil once I pass 10k as this seems to be the most recommended plan. Any name brand oil should be fine to use. Like SD_GR said keep all receipts documenting the filters/oil if your doing the changes yourself.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    Another +1 on the Subaru oil filter. There's no reason to give the warranty demons anything to gripe about. The current batch of filters seems to be leak free, but I still have a slow leaker on my car.

I'm about to put in some nice Mobil 1 5W-40 for this nasty summer heat and get a nice new filter on there.

Is it weird to get excited about putting new oil in your car?
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    Is it weird to get excited about putting new oil in your car?
    No. Normal.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    No. Normal.
    I wish there were more people that I knew better who shared my passion for the little things...

Seriously, after a horribly stressful week, sometimes it's the biggest joy to just treat the weatherstripping on my car with some product or top off the washer fluid. Changing the oil is even better.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

I Support ClubWRX
    I know the feeling. I also used to clean stuff before a stressful event, to keep things off my mind. Been there.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.