Knock Knock Knock....
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Knock Knock Knock.... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am having a weird knocking sound when I let off the gas and it goes back to idle. I ...

Knock Knock Knock....

I am having a weird knocking sound when I let off the gas and it goes back to idle. I thought it might be rocker knock, but when I took it to the dealer the service manager and I both noticed that it is coming from behind the engine... could be the turbo or something. Now could this be the wastegate, or is it a busted fin, or worse off is there mad shaft play in the turbine? And might this be fixable? Thanks

Oh and it will do it at idle after a spirited run....

Basically I am wondering if anyone else has had this sound pop up on them. It sounds just like a rocker knocking....
    04 Java Black Pearl - Sleek Eye

All you see is my license plate... SCOOBY-X

Quote Originally Posted by GOD The Almighty
    Patrick, you are a complete accident

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

come on someone has to know...

Someone on here probably does know, but they may not have been on between 5 and 6:30 tonight. Patience.
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

bump the question...

same knocking sound.

I have the same problem. What was the cause/fix. Thanks.

I also have noticed this knock at idle on my 05 WRX.
    I dont notice pings or knocks while accelerating thru any gear, just while at idle.
    It happens when I start the car cold and when its warm after my 30+ mile daily commute.

Any thoughts?

EDIT- Oops, found the answer elsewhere, Search button is my friend. Apperently this is a known issue and has been answered in other posts.
    Last edited by Station; 02-22-2007 at 05:33 PM.

if its cold and you start up boxer engines are very loud, knock and make noises, just let it warm up.......
    HOWEVER
    if you drive the car around and the car is at OPERATING temperature, and your at idle and it still sounds a little knocky, i personally noticed if the engine is not completely full with oil (4.8 quarts) (i normally put in 5).....it will knock even at just a half a quart low the engine is loud.......i notice about every 1500 miles i will be a little oil maybe half quart sometimes more, especially when i use a thinner oil 5w 30 mobil 1, in the summer i put 15w 50 mobil 1, doesnt burn at all.......check your oil, if its more than that, i dont know what the problem, but boxer engines crave perfect oil level

i have this same noise coming from the top of the block on the back side of the motor. at first i though it was bad gas, so i drove it completely out and went to a different station and got premium, still there. so i changed the plugs, still there. If the car is at idle and you tap the gas a couple of times it goes clack or knock then goes away does fine with no noise under acceleration but as soon as you let of the gas you hear it again breifly just started a couple of days ago very disturbing sound anyone know
    HAVE YOU SEEN ME?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.