Timing belt
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Timing belt within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I searched around and did not find the info I wanted. Does the timing belt tensioner and water pump have ...

Timing belt

I searched around and did not find the info I wanted. Does the timing belt tensioner and water pump have to be replaced at the time of the timing belt change? The darn belt already costs a butt load of $$$$, throw in the tensioner and water pump and your looking at a pretty penny. Any suggestions or info from anyone would be greatly appreciated. I have 84,000 miles on my 02 WRX and I am already starting to plan ahead on the timing belt change.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Plan ahead? You're 24k behind already.

You don't have to replace either, but its sure easier to do it when its all out than have it fail later on. I didn't do the tensioner but I did do the water pump with mine at 60k.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by thechickencow
    Plan ahead? You're 24k behind already.

You don't have to replace either, but its sure easier to do it when its all out than have it fail later on. I didn't do the tensioner but I did do the water pump with mine at 60k.
    IIRC, the scheduled mileage for T-belt replacement is 105k.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    IIRC, the scheduled mileage for T-belt replacement is 105k.
    Is there a stipulation on that for "extreme" weather conditions? I'm all for changing the Tbelt at 60k... but mostly because my car is in Phoenix 100% of the time. Those belts just don't take the dryness very well.

I'm gonna read my manual. I'm pretty sure its listed at 60k in mine.

I just read my "2002 Warranty and Maintenance Booklet" and it also says replace @ 105K. I happend to find the t-belt tensioner while doing a search for it. Check out this link and let me know if it is a good price please. http://replacement.autopartswarehous...embly&dp=false

I'm replacing my timing belt soon also (106K miles (lots of them highway)). Any difinitive answer on what should be replaced?
    - Tensioner assembly? I've found this for $125
    - I assume there is no reason to get new gaskets?
    - Water Pump? One Subaru tech told me the Subaru water pumps rarely fail?
    - Belt of coarse - the dealer wants $175

Thanks!

Anything else?

Slowboyracing has the genuine subaru timing belt for $129.95. Check it out.http://www.slowboyracing.com/shop.php?sid=&cat=2420

I found this whole kit while searching on ebay, let me know your opinions please.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MakeTrack=true

scheduled timing belt replacement, but a lot of dealers will do them at 90K while you have the car in for the major maintenence service...

the water pump doesn't HAVE to be replaced, but generally water pumps last about 100K miles, and you pretty much have to take of the timing belt to get to it, so they offer to put in a new one while they're in there.

when I had my 90k mile service done, since I was still under the gold plus warranty, the service manager said "your water pump and oil pump are leaking...and I'm going to replace them under warranty since we're already in there".

to which I replied "that's odd...I didn't notice any signs of leaks when I get under the car..."

to which he replied "shhhhh!"
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Damien02WRX
    Slowboyracing has the genuine subaru timing belt for $129.95. Check it out.http://www.slowboyracing.com/shop.php?sid=&cat=2420
    its not much more than that from the dealer...it was about $250 parts and labor.

and as for the ebay kit...I wouldn't buy ANYTHING that plays an important part in the running or your car to off-brand ebay crap. something like a strut bar, or an end link...but a timing belt? no fricken way!
    Last edited by blarg; 05-16-2006 at 09:47 PM.
    go f*** yourself

That is an oddity to find a service manager like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Damien02WRX
    That is an oddity to find a service manager like that.
    + pi
    go f*** yourself

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.