3k -4k RPM clicking noise

This is a discussion on 3k -4k RPM clicking noise within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Today I decided to cruise on home without the music on, and I noticed a loud "clicking" noise coming from ...

3k -4k RPM clicking noise

Today I decided to cruise on home without the music on, and I noticed a loud "clicking" noise coming from my motor. It was most noticable between 3 and 4k RPM's. It is loudest in 1st gear, but it could be heard all the way through 4th gear. Now I know the boxter motor is known for having some clicking noise, but this sounded a bit out of the ordinary. Is this something I should be worried about?

64k miles, bone stock except for Cobb AP stg.1

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

This might be obvious, but did you check your oil level? Subys tend to burn some oil between changes...
    New England F4
    www.OddTopic.net - my pet project, come say hello!
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

yeah, that was the first thing I checked. it was a tad bit above the second dot.. but I think that's because I checked too soon and the oil didn't settle down to the pan yet.

My subie is exactly the same as yours 60,000 miles, cobb ap stage 1, and wierd knocking at partial throttle, worst in 1st gear. Haven't had time to take it into the shop yet, and I'm not sure what the hell it is.
    2004 WRB Subaru WRX

it's vtaaaaac ...no but really it may be bad gas???
    06 Protuned Stg2 WRB WRX
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #123

Mine has the same thing! 61k, been doing it for a few months. it sounds like a rattle, and its most obvious at partial throttle, between 0-10 vac. Took it to the dealership but they couldnt tell me what it was .

*EDIT* it only happens at partial throttle (or only audiable at PT anyway). Once boost hits it goes away.
    Last edited by Aerophyre; 04-06-2006 at 08:57 PM.

Clutch replaced?

By any chance did any or all of you recently replace your clutch?

Yeah, I had it replaced at about 63k miles. I still have the same noise to this day. I now have about 73k miles on it. It hasn't gotten any worse, even with all my mods since then. I have just learned to live with it. I have heard others just say it normal for boxers to make that noise.

I get the same thing sounds like something (like a heat shield) is rattling around at partial throttle but I have gotten used to it
    04 WRX Java Black
    Mustang Dyno 218 awhp 216 awtq
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    yea you know its modified
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

Well the only thing I can think of is the bottom of the shifter touching the heat shield which will rattle when the car is in motion.

i have 66k on mine i have had it since 58k and it has made that noise since the day i bought it. Except for the past 2 days crappy gas that was so called premium = ping chink ping no boost for me till E