Interpreting oil levels on the dipstick
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Interpreting oil levels on the dipstick within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi All, Just got a 06 wagon and had a question reading the oil level on the dipstick. I have ...

Interpreting oil levels on the dipstick

Hi All,

Just got a 06 wagon and had a question reading the oil level on the dipstick. I have to wipe and put the dipstick in about 3 times before I get a consistent reading. On the 3rd time I notice that one side of the dipstick the oil level is about half way between the Low and High mark, but on the other side of the dipstick the oil level is right under the High mark.

Note: I do make sure the dipstick is all the way in before I take it out and check the oil. I have about 2K miles on the car and using mobil 1 5w-30. I change the oil to full synthetic when I hit 1,200 miles.

I just want to clarify that the top side of the dipstick shows the oil level between the L and H mark while the bottom side shows the oil level as full. When I do check my oil it is in the morning after my car sits in the garage for the night. I know the dipstick does not go straight in and is at a slant.

So no matter how many times I wipe the dipstick I will get the same results. So would my oil level be:

A:half full
    or
    B:full???

It just puzzles me how both sides can give you such different readings

Thanks all

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Everyone's does this. It's just a terrible dip stick. Go with the front side and call it a day.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, I have never seen a dipstick like ours. What could be a simpler device, yet it does not work consistently on the Subaru?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Funny you should ask! There is an even simpler device that does not work correctly on the car. If you thought the dipstick was bad, consider the retaining peg for the driver's floor mat.

The technology has been around since proto-hominids were hanging stuff from branches next to them up on the trees... Yet SOA had to issue a jury-rigged "fix" consisting of a washer meant to keep the plug from popping out from underneath the carpet, and it still isn't correct. My driver's floor mat is retained by a zip tie.1-million-year-old technology implemented poorly.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    Funny you should ask! There is an even simpler device that does not work correctly on the car. If you thought the dipstick was bad, consider the retaining peg for the driver's floor mat.

The technology has been around since proto-hominids were hanging stuff from branches next to them up on the trees... Yet SOA had to issue a jury-rigged "fix" consisting of a washer meant to keep the plug from popping out from underneath the carpet, and it still isn't correct. My driver's floor mat is retained by a zip tie.1-million-year-old technology implemented poorly.
    I tried a zip tie fix when I first got the car:

One of my oldest posts: Driver floor mat creeping forward ...

I went with a set of these: Anyone ever try floor mats from weathertech.com?

I still have them.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.