2016 WRX Squeaky noise, disappears when you engage clutch

19K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  gmorphanAt 
#1 ·
* No performance mods, just the nameless axle back muffler delete
* 91/92 octane
* 2016/WRX approximately 18.2k miles
* Problem started appearing I believe in December

What I've done:
I've already been to the dealer once and we thought it was the throwout bearing so that was replaced, but, the squeaky noise still appears. It's intermittent but I think it's been happening more frequently this week. Whenever I bring it to the dealer they are unable to recreate the issue (of course). I have an appointment again on Monday in which I believe they will take my car for a few days and have a manager drive it. Hopefully it makes the sound when I show up this time so we don't have to go down that route.

Here are some more in-depth symptoms:
The sound is prominent while the clutch is disengaged and I am under 3k RPM.
When I engage the clutch (even just tapping on it) the sound disappears.
When I rev the squeaky noise turns into a spinning squeaky noise and then disappears around 2500 rpm.

Conclusion:
So far I think it could be the Pilot Bearing according to this post https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/1284277-what-signs-pilot-bearing-going-out.html
One of the posts in there has basically the exact symptoms that I do, the poster at the time of this thread was KurtRadin

See less See more
#4 ·
Yeah that resolved the issue. I brought it to them 5 times before they did a ride along, they didn't say anything was wrong just a cricket noise. The dealer took my car in and sprayed the pivot and fork with white lithium grease and sent me on my way. The noise disappeared for about a week and then on a cold morning it came back twice as loud.

Brought it back and they suggested I get my trans and diff fluids replaced as they felt it was something internal (blow smoke much)? So I presented them the TSB about subaru changing the TOB and release bearings. They said they couldn't go off a whim so I dropped a sob story about how this is my fifth subaru and that my family only owns them (which they do) and then the service manager came out and told me they would start the car on a lift and check for anything. After about 30-40m the manager came back and I figured I was going home. He said that when the clutch is engaged there is noise, when the clutch is disengaged the noise stops, which I knew. He said they'd pull the transmission and check further and gave me a loaner but if they found nothing they would charge me for fluid and labor. They found that the fork was warped and that the slave cylinder was pushing too hard against the top of the fork. In the end they replaced my clutch, fly, and everything in between as well as the fork. It's been about 3 months And everything feels good (knock on wood).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
He said that when the clutch is engaged there is noise, when the clutch is disengaged the noise stops, which I knew.
Hmm mine is the exact opposite of this issue, when it's disengaged the noise is present, when I barely touch the clutch the noise goes away. Although maybe I'm reversed on disengaged vs engaged lol.

I'm going to keep this as a note for the dealers, I'll be doing a ride a long I'm sure. Thanks for the info!

#7 ·
I believe that's when you engage the clutch then you hear the squeaky noise since that's when the throwout bearing contacts the pressure plate. That situation is the opposite of what I have which I think is what confused the dealership at first as they did replace the throwout bearing the last time I was there.

#8 ·
This doesn't sound like an uncommon issue. I was alarmed when my 2012 wrx made what seems to be a similar noise. Honestly, it still makes that noise & I never went to the dealership to check on it. Did some research and it's a pretty common thing. I'm first owner of mine and have 103k miles now, it just doesn't bother me like it used to and I hardly notice it. I wouldn't be too worried about there being a mechanical issue unless it gets worse. GOod luck.

#10 ·
At first it started out when I barely touched the clutch pedal the sound would stop, then it got worse. What's the dealer say about it?

It is annoying as he11, I agree with that. Like you just wanna enjoy the car. There's a 60k power train warranty on it so eventually the TOB will start to go. They redesigned the TOB on the '17+ WRXs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Yea I have the 17+ TOB in mine right now. Didn't solve the issue though.

The dealer basically said if they can't recreate it there is nothing they can do, which is understandable. Funny though how within 5 minutes of driving it away it was making the sound again. Makes me wonder if they even tried that hard.

I'm dropping it off tomorrow morning. I believe a manager will be taking it for a couple days, unfortunately putting some miles on it, to get it to recreate. I'll mention the pilot bearing and see if that could be the issue. I'll then move onto what yours did to solve it. I'll update this post if it was resolved by the time I get it back.

#13 · (Edited)
Same exact issue here. Looking for any help.

It’s not throwout bearing. I have that noise too.

Happens when warm, I first noticed this just this month after a 500 mile road trip to LA. Drove me nuts on the way home. Push the clutch in just a half-inch and the noise goes away. On my 25 min commute to work I just begin to hear it pulling into the parking garage. On a day full of errands this week I heard it all afternoon. Ugh. Not looking forward to the countless hours at the dealer trying to get it solved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.