Subaru WRX Forum banner

Clutch Replacement too soon?

684 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  MainFrame 
#1 ·
Okay so here is my situation, i have a 1991 Honda Accord, and I recently had some work done to it to get it back up and running. Long story short, he replaced my clutch and not even 1000 miles later it doesn't drive any longer.
Keep in mind I am by no means a beginner,(or an Expert by any means) but I've been driving a manual transmission for over 2 years. Also, i do my best to minimize/ eliminate bad driving habits, such as ;riding the clutch, slipping it for extended periods, launching the car ect...
Fast forward 3 weeks after my car being returned to be and like previously mentioned it stops working, I ask him to stop by and see what happened with the car and he claims that I do not know how to drive and i destroyed it,
Now my question is, Am I being unreasonable by asking him to repair it because he guaranteed me that everything he replaced with new parts would work as intended?
other important info is that he is asking 250 to fix it
I would appreciate everyones' opinion on the situation

#2 ·
You should definitely have him repair it if he guaranteed he'd replace everything with new and did the clutch. Sounds like the mechanic messed something up if it has stopped driving 1000 miles after the repair. But why didn't you follow up with him about it not working immediately vs 3 weeks? Also what do you mean by it doesn't drive any longer?

#3 ·
Is there a chance you torched it? Sure. Is there an equal chance he messed up an install? Absolutely. What all work was done? Just friction disk and pressure plate? Or did you also have a flywheel put in?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#5 ·
As far what all work was done to the car there is a long list including swapping the engine from a 1995 Accord. Brand new: Battery, Alternator, Brakes, Oil, Oil filter, valve cover gasket, new plugs and wires, and the clutch. I do not remember him asking me to get a replacement flywheel or pressure plate. The items I've listed are just about everything that I remember buying for the car and thats another reason i feel like I Might as well get it fixed one last time before I give up on the car for good (its my first car)
I just do not want to return to a mechanic that will refuse to admit he might have installed something incorrectly, to me that just shows poor character and i'd rather take it to someone more honest

#6 ·
I think you should at least have this mechanic (or another if you want) figure out what's wrong with the car at the moment. And if you take it back to the same mechanic he should check it out free of charge if you can persuade him a little bit.

#7 ·
When replacing a clutch the flywheel will also need to be replaced or resurfaced.

That said, if it suddenly went from working fine to nothing at all, saying you burned it up doesn't make any sense. A worn out clutch gradually begins to slip, it doesn't just suddenly stop working entirely out of the blue. I would suspect a problem with the hydraulics.. either it was not bled properly, the slave or master cylinder failed, or there was a leak and the fluid escaped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.