White Exhaust Smoke

734 views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  XJman 
#1 ·
05 WRX
SRI
Catless DP and stock catback
Cobb AP Stage 2 OTS Tune 93 Oct
80K miles

So I've driven then car as a DD for around but 10K miles. Never had any coolant or oil problems but I do have this white smoke that constantly reminds me that it's there. It's not a super heavy smoke but you can definitely smell it.

Is it possible that going catless is giving me the white smoke and smell? Or some other source?

#4 ·
An exhaust leak could in theory draw air in and cause condensation. So will running the AC or defrost/fog cycle.

Catless downpipes almost always have a distinct odor, mine will water your eyes after a cold start. Have you inspected your oil or coolant for signs of contamination?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#5 ·
When I replaced the shifter bushing I took the DP off the access it better but one of the turbo studs' threads was messed up so I it's not as tight. Idk if that's a possibility. Brainstorming the things I've done.

I do the oil changes every 3K miles so there's no abnormalities as for the coolant I haven't checked it yet. Ill check that next

#6 ·
A leak there could possibly be an issue. As would the other end if you removed it from the mid pipe and didn't replace the gasket.

You could have a failing turbo seal, but I personally don't suspect a head gasket leak if your oil doesn't show contamination.

#8 ·
I can't speak to how much shaft play is normal or what it signifies. Shaft play has to be checked with a dial indicator that reads microns or .0001" for us who use freedom units.

My exhaust had 2 consistent leaks. At the split in my 2pc down pipe and from the downpipe to the adapter/donut gasket for the factory 2.5" exhaust. I only had steam on cold damp days and it wasn't noticable unless you got up to the back of the car.

#9 ·
I just looked at if after driving. It has to be the Turbo. There was some oil on the right axle boot that is right under the Turbo to DP. It even melted my AC drain hose lol ?

Any Turbo recommendations other than the OEM one? My friend was telling me to try to get a ball bearing type one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.