Does My Idle Sound Healthy?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Does My Idle Sound Healthy? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I have a 2013 WRX, and for the past couple weeks, I have been noticing two suspicious sounds: ...

Red face Two Bad Sounds at Idle

Hey guys,

I have a 2013 WRX, and for the past couple weeks, I have been noticing two suspicious sounds:

1. The first is this constant ticking noise (for lack of a better word) when sitting at idle.

It's most often present when I've been driving for 20 minutes or so. See this video for a recording. It's only slightly audible if you're sitting in the driver's seat, but you can definitely hear it in that video since the hood is up. Note that as I move the phone around, it's loudest on the driver's side of the car.

2. The second is an irregular rattling/scraping sound. Here is another video. It is most audible from one of the front two seats with the door open, but you cannot really hear it when standing over the front of the car when the hood is raised. If you stand behind the car, you can hear it faintly. My first thought was maybe a loose skid plate? I do have this annoying skid plate that has to be removed and then zip-tied back on every time I get an oil change... but I think that thing is plastic, and this sounds more like a light metal scraping sound to me. You can hear in the video that it is pretty irregular. Unlike the first noise, this one is pretty much there all the time.

These things could be nothing, for all I know, but since they are new sounds to me and I'm taking the car on a big road trip in a few weeks, I wanted to get a few more opinions. I know it's hard to diagnose a sound over the internet, but if you have any ideas on what either of these might be, I'd sure appreciate it! Of course, the best news would be to hear that I'm crazy and the idle sounds normal.

Either way, thanks for taking a look!
    Last edited by BeyondSchwifty; 02-16-2017 at 06:44 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I hear it but I don't have an answer for you man. Not sure it's a problem. You should rev the car and not any noise changes. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your input! There's actually another sound I don't like, but wasn't about to get a good video of it yesterday. I've revised the original post with a video of it from this morning -- recognize the second sound at all?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.