Subaru WRX Forum banner

Valet nightmare

2K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  EricPatrick 
#1 ·
So last Saturday I arrived at a 5 star hotel in Boston (heading to the pats playoff game). I had reservations about handing my car (2016 wrx premium 6m with about 15K) over to the valet because I always hear bad things. They said they only have valet so I insisted on talking to the bell captain who assured me that their drivers were good with manuals. Fast forward through Saturday and another patriots victory to Sunday morning when I call down to the desk to have my car brought around. I walk out of the front lobby to see my car parked front and center with all four windows rolled down (it's 10 degrees out btw) and I thought that was odd. When I get close to the car the smell of burnt clutch hits me like a ton of bricks and it is absolutely overpowering once I sit in the cabin. I can even see light smoke coming out of the vents. I call the bell captain over who then calls the valet manager. The manager apologizes and says to call them back if I notice any clutch slipping on the way home. Now, I didn't notice slipping, but it did take the whole 2 hour drive home for the clutch smell to wear off.

I called the hotel back and they first offered to refund parking and then a free stay at the hotel. At this point I called subaru for advice because I dont know what a fair amount is fair for that amount of clutch damage and I dont know how much heat damage was caused. A Subaru tech said "off the record if it were me I would ask for the full amount for a clutch replacement" he said that because this clutch was basically brand new and you cant know how much damage was caused...basically the clutch could last 2 years or it could fail in a month due to excessive heat damage.

Should I be pushing for the full amount or is that too much to ask for? I'm so pissed about the whole ordeal. My first new car and I baby the heck out of it and I turn it over once and it gets absolutely abused.

Thanks for any and all advice!

See less See more
#7 ·
There isn't any reason they shouldn't replace it. The challenge is proving they were at fault for the damage. Usually with some pressure they will step up, but if they don't you may be getting legal counsel involved and seeking security tapes.

This sucks though, but doesn't surprise me. Valet companies literally hire any turd off the street.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Literally anyone. I'm 17 and I was picked up for a valet job. I had never done a valet job before and they didn't even tell me I would be driving cars, no clear description of the job. Really shocked me that valet companies did this lol.

I say push for a new clutch. Shame on the valet noobs :nono:

#10 ·
There was a restaurant here that found one of the valets dead of od in a customer's Porsche some years back. I would have burnt that car to the ground if it was mine. Dont need any James Dean type of stuff going on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I have never known anyone to get a new clutch is a situation like this. As annoying as it is even with legal action they likely still won't do anything.
The best you are probably going to get is what they offered you the first time. But anything is worth a try.

#12 ·
Thanks to everybody for your input! This is why I come here with these things. I'm supposed to be hearing from the hotel today who says they have passed it on to their claims department and are waiting to hear from their insurance company. They said they could cut a check for $375 but I argued that if the clutch fails in 1 month then I am out $1850-$375

#13 ·
My clutch has lasted 120k miles. Yours will not. You don't know when or how much you lost, but you did. If you are in a wreck and get a messed up back, you don't just get compensated for the suffering you have done. They have to compensate you for the future too. It is a 5 star hotel - they have money, and their reputation is very important. They screwed up. It is all on them to make it new.

#14 ·
Ok so it's update time! I made an appointment at my subie dealer and told them that the valet would be covering the costs. The dealer asked to speak with the valet directly to give their recommendation. (the tech at Subaru said he could tell just by driving the car that the clutch would need to be replaced due to how high the bite point on the pedal was). The dealer called the valet and told them that the car needed a full clutch replacement and the hotel gave them a card on the spot to cover all costs. Can't believed it worked out this well. The car should be done this Thursday, they surprisingly haven't had to replace alot of 2016 wrx clutches yet lol.

Thanks again for everybody's input!

#15 ·
Good on them. I used to be a valet for 4 years. I'm glad it worked out for you. The fact that the hotel or valet company didn't have anyone who could adequately drive a manual transmission is entirely on them. This means that any damage caused as a result is on them. That's good on the hotel for recognizing their mistake. It blew my mind how many people my old company would hire that didn't know how to drive a manual. I worked at many places through that valet company and I was always very respectful to everyone's vehicle. I never had 1 claim. However, I can support the fact that some valets are reckless and unfitting for the job. In my experience, though, most are definitely qualified.

Having been a Valet for those years really opened my mind to the service industry. Had I not ever been a valet I would probably never valet my car anywhere. But, after my experience as a valet I would most certainly have my car valeted almost anywhere. Valet companies, and business that employ their own valets, know the risk in that business and have insurance for such instances. Most companies and businesses are ALWAYS very prompt, compliant and polite when it comes to a damage claims such as yours.

#16 ·
Good to hear!
Had a similar situation a few years back....my car got backed into, sent it to a very trusted body shop...one of their guys went joy riding, completely destroyed the clutch to the point i couldn't leave the parking lot. Ended up putting a good deep groove into the flywheel. Got them to cover the cost to replace...unfortunately EVERYTHING broke coming out. Total came to 2 grand
So, good on them for covering it. You left your car in their possession, they're ultimately responsible for it at that time.

#17 ·
I reluctantly had my car valet parked at a hotel in Milwaukee this weekend. My wife thought I was crazy for hesitating. I was unfamiliar with the city and had no idea where public self parking was (turns out it is everywhere including the other side of the lot the hotel uses).

We walk up to our room and I take a look at the view and notice my car being driven to the lot across the river. Guy enters the lot a little quick but otherwise driving looked fine. I then watch him circle the empty lot 4 or 5 times (not quickly and weirdly he was signaling his turns in the empty lot lol) before parking. A few seconds later he starts to drive and clearly stalls. Wife goes down to the front desk as I watch him circle the lot twice more before parking. She had some choice words before I made it downstairs after I was convinced he was done with my car. They sent him home and didn't charge me the parking. Hotel bartender fed me free drinks for the night. Hopefully the clutch wasn't being killed and those don't become really expensive drinks. I probably should have ran over there to take in the aroma or burnt clutch, but honestly I was pissed enough and almost rather not know. Car drove totally normal the next day. 5.5k miles on the car. I'll never have valet park a manual car again. Should have gone with my gut. Live and learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
Geez, you guys and valet parking. I mean, I guess if it's your thing what the hey. Its just something I never even consider, not to mention the idea that I have never even been to a hotel that has valet parking. While I do not wish you personal grief, hearing such stories certainly validates my control-freakedness about others touching my car. Oh, and I had my son learn to drive MT in my car when I got it, and so far at almost 39K no clutch problems.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.