Subaru WRX Forum banner

Calling all Forester mechanics

788 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  rqjoe 
#1 ·
I have a puzzler for ya'all. My wife parks her Forester in the garage and at random times I walk by it and hear a buzzing/humming from under the car between the rear wheels. I am pretty sure it has to be the fuel pump running. But why? It'll just start doing it at any old random time for several minutes at a time. No key in car. Car cold. Car hot. I never hear the WRX doing this, just the Forester. 2015. 0 problems or other issues. Any ideas why it does this? Thanks.

#2 ·
First, make sure it's the pump. If it's the pump making noise, then the same noise should be apparent when the pump is definitely on -- since you may not hear it with the motor running, turn the key to the ON position and listen.

I suspect evap and/or other emissions stuff going on.

I should add I have a car that does something very similar, but it's only a 1991 model so I've not had a chance to look into it yet (read: I'm not worried... at all... it's been decades...).

#5 ·
Thanks all. Kinda figured it was normal, but wasn't 100% "sure" what it was. Also never would have thought evap. Does that mean it would be an air pump maintaining a pad pressure in the fuel tank? I am surprised I don't hear it in the wrx. Yeah sd-gr, I also probably would have never actually done anything about it either since car runs fine. Just one of those things that makes me go "hmmm?" Thanks all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.