Subaru WRX Forum banner

2015 WRX - Fumoto oil valve: Yay or Nay?

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  zploen 
#1 ·
Hey all - I have a 2015 WRX and am debating getting a Fumoto valve for the oil pan. I've done some research on these and can't seem to find a definitive answer on whether or not they are a good thing to have on the car. Obviously they are much more convenient, but have read some concerns about the valves leaving the last bit of oil/junk in the bottom of the pan.

So, I'm curious from the WRX community if there is a consensus as to whether or not these are a good idea to have on our cars? Specifically the 2015+ models...

#6 ·
Any concern over the valve opening unexpectedly? I'm assuming with the undercarriage guards on the car around the oil pan and elsewhere should prevent anything from accidentally bumping the switch...in other words, is the plastic lock worth getting?

#8 ·
I doubt they would open; it would have to hit something that would lift the tab & twist to open the valve. I mean sure, it can happen but the chances will be slim unless you do some seriously rallying and or driving through some object infested road lol.

I love mine...makes life so much easier. Not a single drop seen from where I park my car on a daily basis.

#11 ·
I have one on my 2016 wrx and my wife's 2015 Forester XT. I got the valve with the short nipple on both. Never had an issue with leaks or the valve popping open. I did get the kit which gives you a clip that covers the lever that opens the valve. I can change the oil in both cars in 30 min, no mess, and for about $37 per car for Subaru Oil Filter and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w 30. Way cheaper than the dealership or any other quick lube place, and faster.
I started using the valve for a couple of reasons. 1) I wanted to save money on the price of full synthetic oil changes. 2) I hated waiting for my cars. 3) I don't trust the people changing my oil. Had a bad experience with one of those idiots cross threading the drain plug, and one of them even broke the dip stick off in my 02 WRX.
Super easy and fast oil changes. Will never own another car that doesn't have a Fumoto valve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.