2005 Subaru WRX Limp Mode?!?!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2005 Subaru WRX Limp Mode?!?! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What's up guys. First time posting. I've recently been having issues with my first subie. It's a 2005 Subaru WRX ...

2005 Subaru WRX Limp Mode?!?!

What's up guys. First time posting. I've recently been having issues with my first subie. It's a 2005 Subaru WRX with 23k miles that I bought a couple weeks ago. Since I've bought it I've replaced the passenger side cam gears, timing belt, and pulleys using oe. I drained all the fluids, replaced them and installed new spark plugs. I get a code for p0172 which is "system too rich bank 1" which I believe is the reason my car is going into limp mode. I've researched on just about every forum on various threads relating to either my CEL or causes of limp mode itself but have managed to come up empty. My mods are a Cobb SF intake, catless up-pipe, and catless 3" TBE. I purchased the Cobb Accessport and tried to install the "stage 2 93 octane" map but that made everything worse. Car jerked violently and wouldn't go over 2800 rpm. I flashed the "stock simulated" map and it seemed to improve quite a bit but I still feel restricted if I accelerate in anything other than first gear. All I get is a repeated sputtering sound at around 2500-3500 rpm. I have noticed it's running super rich as every accerlation above 2500 rpm or up/down shift causes popping in the exhaust. Has anyone had a similar problem or know what could be the culprit? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

THE Resident Non-shifter JaySin's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    First...hello and welcome! If, after you're positive all your hardware is in proper working order and fluids are good to go, make sure whatever Cobb OTS map you're trying to use matches your modified hardware EXACTLY. If your engine is solid and the parts are working as expected, I would go somewhere that specializes in protuning...particularly one with Subaru experience. They will most likely make you sign a waiver. Some will do a thorough once-thru pre-check to make sure they aren't going to blow up your engine while tuning it.
    The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status, or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we all believe that we are above-average drivers.
    ~Dave Barry

Current Garage:
    2015 Forester XT Touring DGM
    2016 WRX CVT Limited CWP

Gone:
    2008 WRX 4EAT Premium Hatch DGM

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/jrc1978

The stage 2 map that I'm using fits my mod list almost exactly apart from the map using a high flow cat. I talked to Cobb before purchasing the unit to make sure it was okay and they said it was fine. I'd like to avoid going to a pro tuner if I could as I've already bought the Accessport and getting a pro tune after buying the AP would seem to me like I wasted money on the Accessport which is not cheap. I originally tried to get it pro tuned but here in Tampa, Fl there is only 1 AWD dyno and it was not working. Apart from that nobody really messes with subarus much nor are they willing to do a street tune.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.