2007 STi Knocking Sound. Ringland Failure?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2007 STi Knocking Sound. Ringland Failure? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Idles fine, no smoke from the exhaust, no smoke from the oil cap. Also another thing to note, the turbo ...

2007 STi Knocking Sound. Ringland Failure?

Idles fine, no smoke from the exhaust, no smoke from the oil cap.
    Also another thing to note, the turbo spools like its normal but I don't get any power from the turbo at all. Just a boost leak i'm hoping?
    The day that both of these things happened I was driving regularly.

You can hear the knocking noise at around 11 seconds into the video and also just near the end.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qgBTikV5nY

I bought the car in Calgary and drove it to Vancouver. It drove like it was in perfect condition with no problems at all.
    The previous person changed the oil in the car right before I left and I put about 1800 miles on it since.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I should also mention that the car has 67,000 miles on it and has the gt3076r turbo kit, equal length headers, front mount intercooler, deatschwerks 850cc injectors, aquamist water injection, and a bit more. Everything was done back in 09 and 08 according to the papers.

Unfortunately, that sounds exactly like my '13 WRX did when a rod bearing failed. I'd have it looked at professionally though to make sure.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

For External Use Only irickchad's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Considering the fact that the car's been running a big turbo, etc. for 7+ years it could very likely be done. I can't currently watch the video.

I know hind sight is 20/20, but this is why getting a compression test on a Used WRX/STi is always a great idea. Previous owner could've had a test done, gotten a crappy read, and decided to sell.
    I have an STi with an intake and no tune, I never change my oil, and my wheel spacerz are mad tyte.

Quote Originally Posted by irickchad View Post
    Considering the fact that the car's been running a big turbo, etc. for 7+ years it could very likely be done. I can't currently watch the video.

I know hind sight is 20/20, but this is why getting a compression test on a Used WRX/STi is always a great idea. Previous owner could've had a test done, gotten a crappy read, and decided to sell.
    Yeah you're right. I should have done a compression test before I bought it .

Quote Originally Posted by khaos View Post
    Unfortunately, that sounds exactly like my '13 WRX did when a rod bearing failed. I'd have it looked at professionally though to make sure.
    Yeah, I've got a guy to look at it tomorrow. I'll see what happens

I second the bearing. I hope it's not, but a bearing can go even on an otherwise healthy engine.

Bright side I think an entirely new shortblock is 2k ish

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    All? NO ALL!

Quote Originally Posted by XJman View Post
    I second the bearing. I hope it's not, but a bearing can go even on an otherwise healthy engine.

Bright side I think an entirely new shortblock is 2k ish

At this point I'm just expecting the worst case scenario so if it is the bearing then i'll probably be relieved lol

Thanks for the information anyway!

Well, either way. You've got the car now. You know its broken. No better time to go for it with a new shortblock, have the heads rebuilt if they need it. You can have a like new situation on a 9yo car.

All? NO ALL!

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by sanmuar View Post
    I should also mention that the car has 67,000 miles on it and has the gt3076r turbo kit, equal length headers, front mount intercooler, deatschwerks 850cc injectors, aquamist water injection, and a bit more. Everything was done back in 09 and 08 according to the papers.
    Whatever you end up replacing be sure you get the state of these mods worked out - take it to a tuner to confirm or at least log the hell out of it.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Whatever you end up replacing be sure you get the state of these mods worked out - take it to a tuner to confirm or at least log the hell out of it.
    Alright, I'll do that for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by XJman View Post
    Well, either way. You've got the car now. You know its broken. No better time to go for it with a new shortblock, have the heads rebuilt if they need it. You can have a like new situation on a 9yo car.

Yup, that's a good way to look at it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.