Subaru WRX Forum banner

Boost leak? Bad Boost gauge?

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  XJman 
#1 ·
I purchased a 2006 wrx last night, I test drove it for a good amount of time it had no issues and was running 15 psi. When driving home I was about 3hrs into the drive and I was on the on ramp getting on it well all I heard was a beeping and so I looked at the boost gauge and it said well over 20-25psi. I got home and I started looking at the vacuum hoses and found one to be in pretty rough shape and deteriorating, after replacing the hose I took it back out for a drive and it never went over 15psi. But after driving it for a little while longer it started to creep near 20 but not nearly as fast.

Also when I'm getting on it it sometimes only goes to 10psi, its a little confusing that its not pulling the same amount of boost but maybe thats dependent on what gear im pulling in?

I'm just hear because im at a loss and need some more insight on what to look at and how to approach the situation. I don't want to blow my motor because of boost so any help is greatly appreciated. The boost gauge is Prosport by the way.

#2 ·
Sounds like you may have a boost creep issue. If you were over 25psi and didn't grenade good on you. Things can go south fast without the needed fueling. Your boost level is going to be dependent on the engine load. You'll make less boost in 1st than in 5th.

What mods are on the car? Im assuming intake, and catless downpipe?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
That's a place to start. I'm not professional all when it comes to this. Now keep in mind a catless downpipe and a intake will remove restrictions and the small wastegate isn't enough to prevent the boost creep.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.