Subaru WRX Forum banner

What's this noise? 2016 WRX

7K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  MikeUA 
#1 ·
Howdy,

I've linked to a Youtube video of my WRX and was wondering if someone could help identify what might be wrong with it? The noise has gotten loud enough now where I can probably take it to the dealership and actually have them fix it. They said they couldn't hear it last time.

*Problem Description*

The noise for a while was intermittent, now it's almost constant. The sound/cadence goes up as RPMs go up (only when in gear/neutral), and completely goes away when the clutch is fully pressed in.

It's present in all gears and is getting louder.

Thank you!!

#5 · (Edited)
YES... I heard this exact noise for the first time this morning from my 2016 WRX. It was fully warmed up at the time having just pulled off the highway (A/C off). To say the least I was not happy... I am sure this is the same problem, but pushing in the clutch didn't effect the sound (first thing I tried since I'm used to hearing a little bit of noise from the throw out bearing dependent on pedal position). I was in the DD drive through and had to shut the car off so the lady could hear me. The noise as gone when I re-started the car. When I got to work 3 minutes later I popped the hood thinking maybe something had lodged itself in the belt, but saw nothing visibly amiss with the the belt/accessories (doesn't mean much).

Please update this after a dealer visit! Much appreciated.

#6 ·
This noise sounds like the high pressure fuel pump to me. I had the same noise on my 2013 BRZ and that's what it was. I think this engine in the newer WRX is the same engine in the BRZ but with a turbo. I had the pump replaced under warranty . The pump is covered under the powertrain warranty also , hope this helps .

#8 ·
I am heading to New York next week for vacation. i am taking mine in when i return, and will report back. Though i live in Portland proper, I have my car serviced at CARR. My noise is identical to yours in the video, and certainly not normal. Mine developed at ~23k miles...

#9 ·
Howdy,

I've linked to a Youtube video of my WRX and was wondering if someone could help identify what might be wrong with it? The noise has gotten loud enough now where I can probably take it to the dealership and actually have them fix it. They said they couldn't hear it last time.

I believe it is the throw out bearing. I just had my clutch replaced 500 miles ago and I have a similar sound but just not as loud, as well as the same symptoms (goes away when the clutch is pressed in). Back to the dealer I go...

*Problem Description*

The noise for a while was intermittent, now it's almost constant. The sound/cadence goes up as RPMs go up (only when in gear/neutral), and completely goes away when the clutch is fully pressed in.

It's present in all gears and is getting louder.

Thank you!!
I believe it is the throw out bearing. I just had my clutch replaced 500 miles ago and I have a similar sound but just not as loud, as well as the same symptoms (goes away when the clutch is pressed in). Back to the dealer I go...

#10 ·
That defiantly sounds like a throwout bearing going bad (given that the noise stops when the clutch is depressed), If it seizes it will tear up the pressure plate fingers. (requiring the pressure plate to be replaced as well) Unbelievable to me that a dealer thought that was normal. (Make sure that your complaints are documented, that it is written on the service sheet and not just verbal, because a throwout is NOT an easy part to get to.)
Not sure what you mean by "only when in gear/neutral" isn't that all the time? (except when clutch in)
Q. do you feel unusual vibration (rumbling on the bottom of your foot) from the pedal when the clutch is depressed?
Q #2 Do you tend to leave your foot on the clutch pedal when you drive, or sit with the clutch depressed when waiting at lights or stop signs (both of these are bad habits and can cause premature throwout failure (though with a 2016, unless you have unbelievably high milage my best guess is that it was (is) defective. Even with bad clutch habits a throwout should last 25-35K)
Always take you foot off the clutch when driving (unless you are shifting) and when waiting, standing still, put the car in neutral and take your foot off the pedal, rather than holding in the clutch, your throwout will thank you ;) .

#12 ·
I had the same issue, dealer in NJ said they found nothing but same sound. I hear it almost every morning. The service manager said it is most likely the HF fuel pump as another user stated and then said if it is the throw out bearing you'd feel more than just hearing a noise, and that the car is under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
I can, with almost 100% certainty, say that this a bad throwout bearing. Previous gen had issues with this but it was negligent and required no actions. However, yours seems to be quite a bit louder. You are not the first one I've seen to have this issue with new gen though.

#14 · (Edited)
I would agree that in my experience, particularly in the latter stages of throwout failure, you can feel the rumble of the deteriorating bearing surfaces in the clutch pedal. (which I asked the OP if he could feel a rumble in the clutch pedal) However in the initial stages that is not always the case, sometimes it is a metalic chirping noise or whine only. As long as you have warranty left no worries, just make sure you have the issue documented with your dealers service department -in writing- (i.e. they have documented the event on your service sheet (which places it in your service record)) A throwout is not a pricy part but the labor to replace it is substantial. (requires removing the transmission) (and secondary damage (pressure plate &/or clutch actuation fork) is possible if the bearing goes all the way to the later stages of failure (seizing, AKA "spinning")

#15 ·
I went in this past Friday for a regular service interval, as well as the TOB. The Service Manager, when I first mentioned the TOB, asked if the symptom "reversed". He knew exactly what my issues is; from day one on cold starts, depress the pedal to the floor and a squeal begins, basically until the car warms up, then it goes away... By "reverse", I mean that basically non-stop, the squeal is there, it only goes away when I depress the clutch pedal to the floor. The Service Manager stated that they could replace the TOB now, but odds are it would fail over time. He mentioned that they are currently working on a new replacement part for the TOB, and once released, we will schedule the repair.

#16 ·
Culprit Found

This is not the throw out bearing as I suspected myself, however it has to do with the TOB. The noise is being produced feom the clutch release fork vibrating against the ball joint and when the slave sylinder pushes on the fork it makes it stiff and stops the vibration causing the noise to go away when the clutch is engaged. Had my dealer replace the TOB again along with the fork and ensured it was properly greased! See my video for detail on noise culprit
https://youtu.be/SQCkL5Auzh0

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.