Low Oil Pressure then Check Engine Light - 2008 STI
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Low Oil Pressure then Check Engine Light - 2008 STI within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; On Friday night I was driving to dinner and about 4 miles from my destination my Low Oil Pressure light ...

Low Oil Pressure then Check Engine Light - 2008 STI

On Friday night I was driving to dinner and about 4 miles from my destination my Low Oil Pressure light would occasionally blink on for a second. I thought I would just get to where I was going then try and solve the problem. I drove the rest of the way there and by the time I ate dinner I completely forgot about the issue. The drive home was about 8 miles (freeway driving) and probably 2-3 miles from home my Check Engine Light came on and my Cruise Control light started flashing. I drove the rest of the way home and parked it for the night. The next day I checked my oil and it was VERY low so I walked to the gas station and ended up adding 3 quarts of oil. Now my Check Engine Light is still on and the Cruise Control light is still flashing and I don't know how to turn it off. The car sounds normal, and while driving it feels like it is in the "Intelligent" mode. My question is, what am I supposed to do now? Do I just keep driving with the CEL on, or should I disconnect the battery and see if it goes away? Should I be trying to get to a dealership? Is the engine ruined and I just don't know it yet?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Actually a SuperSpy. Take Care. SD_GR's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Read and post the error code.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Πως έγινε με τούτο τον αιώνα και γύρισε καπάκι η ζωή
    Πως το ’φεραν η μοίρα και τα χρόνια να μην ακούσεις έναν ποιητή
    Manos Eleftheriou
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

When I turn the key to accessory on position and hit the trip button 4 times, turn the headlights on, 4 times, headlights off, 4 times, headlights on, button 4 times I get the following codes.

P0024
    P0014

I Support ClubWRX
    Those are both camshaft and timing error codes and could be a secondary result of the low oil level.

Where did the 3 qts of oil go? Is there a leak? Do you check oil routinely? Is it full now?
    Manos Eleftheriou
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

It is full now. I park on the street and I have never noticed oil spots but I also have not been on the lookout for them. I had my oil change with synthetic oil about 3000 miles ago, but I do not regularly check the oil. I have had this car just over a year and I have not had any issues like this before.

First you need to find where 3 quarts of oil went. That is 3/4 your oil volume. Even if you fix your cam sensor issues if you are blowing through 3 quarts of oil in a week or 2 you've got a major problem

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    See if there is an oil leak. If you cannot do it, take it to a mechanic. The owner's manual says to check the oil every time you refuel. I check every fortnight or so, still more frequently than many people but not as frequently as I should.

If the cause of the CEL is gone then the light should go off on its own after several duty cycles. I have no way of knowing if your motor is actually OK though, especially not remotely.
    Manos Eleftheriou

Does this sound like the right course of action? Check my oil every morning before work to see if it is draining rapidly, and bring a piece of cardboard to put under my car when I park at work to look for oil spots. If the CEL is not gone by the end of the week schedule a time to go into the dealership. If I find an oil leak schedule a time to go into the dealership. If over the next week the CEL goes away and I find no oil leak, then start checking the oil every time I fill up and look for any noticeable changes.

The other option is just to take it to the dealership ASAP.
    Last edited by Dgreen88; 05-23-2016 at 05:31 PM.

I'm thinking the oil is going out the exhaust. Do you still have coolant?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yes. The coolant level is about half way between full and low.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.