Subaru WRX Forum banner

2015 wrx - engine ticking

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  wrxclmbr 
#1 ·
Hi all, today I was leaving the dealership and merging into traffic when I heard a "ticking" sound (maybe 4-5 in succession) and noticed a puff of black smoke behind me. I was in 2nd gear at 4k rpm when I began boosting followed by the ticking sound during wot. Does this appear to be engine knock causing a rich mixture and should I be concerned or is this typical from time to time? The engine is stock with no modification. Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
It's weird cause I did get the reflash and never noticed the knock before. I actually need to go back to the dealership for warranty work (inappropriate contact in the strut housing causing clunk) so I'll bring it up then and drive conservatively until then. I'll post an update next week or so. Thanks for the input guys!

#5 ·
Same thing happened yesterday on the highway except I was in 3 gear merging into traffic. This time I noticed power was cut and a shutter from the engine. I have also noticed rougher starts on occasion when turning the ignition. Idle seems ok though.

I talked to a service guy at the local dealership today and he didn't have an answer for me. He asked if I threw an engine light, I said no. Also asked what kind of gas I used (i only use 93 from shell). Then he said if it continues to make the noise to bring it in and try to replicate it with a technician in the car. Since this issue is sporadic that may be hard to do.

I did some searching on this and came up with possible scenarios...

1. Wild ping - basically from a buildup of carbon that will ignite and result in knock and black smoke. Dit engine more prone??

2. Crappy gas - I always fill up with 93 from shell so this is unlikely.

3. Boost leak - some fxt guys were having similar issues and resolved it with tighter clamps.

4. Bad stock tune - maybe it's time to get a pro-tune and dump the warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.