Motor Spun a Bearing; Need Help Deciding on What Parts to Use for an Overhaul
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Motor Spun a Bearing; Need Help Deciding on What Parts to Use for an Overhaul within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I bought a 02 bugeye off my buddy who spun the bearing on it three years ago and it's ...

Motor Spun a Bearing; Need Help Deciding on What Parts to Use for an Overhaul

So I bought a 02 bugeye off my buddy who spun the bearing on it three years ago and it's been sitting since. Itís a southern car so it has no rust on it so the car is going to last quite a while longer. So I decided to buy a brand new 2.0L OEM short block and I am looking for advice. The car has 167,000 miles on it and since I am putting a brand new short block in it, I figured Iíd overhaul everything else as well. Iím not looking to beef anything up, I want to stay as close to stock as possible. Iím going to be using the subie as my daily so Iím more concerned about longevity over performance.

That said, Iím looking for suggestions as to what everyone else would do in my situation and what parts I should get and where to service my heads. Basically, I want to put this motor back in the car with all new parts as well as having the heads checked over. I know Ron used to be the guy everyone recommended but it looks like thatís no longer an option. A few local shops said they could do it for anywhere between $600-1000. Autozone sells remanufactured heads by a company named Surefire but I havenít heard of them and a quick google search doesnít get many hitsÖ Here is the link to the heads I'm talking about:

http://www.autozone.com/external-eng...2_792062_6258/

Couldnít find anyone that bought them and had good things to say about them (or bad either). For both Surefire heads it would be around $700 after the core and those are complete heads too (Valves, Springs & Camshaft included).

Wondering if anyone on here has experience with Surefire headsÖ

Also, Iím trying to compile a list of everything Iím looking to get for the wrx. I figure Iíll be replacing the following items. If anyone has any recommendations as to what products to go with over other brand, let me know as I am new to the subie-life and Iím not that well versed on the options out there. Here is a quick list of things Iím looking to have done or replace:

Heads (either send them out for testing/service or buy Surefire heads from autozone?)
    Gaskets (oem - head(s), water pump, thermostat, seals, etcÖ)
    Timing Belt
    Water Pump (OEM, Aisin, or ______?)
    Oil Pump (OEM or _________?
    Thermostat
    Fuel injectors - may as well upgrade them while I have everything apart (what brand and size to go with?)

Iím sure Iím missing a few things so Iíll add them later when I think of them. If anyone has any recommendations, Iíd greatly appreciate it. Looking to get this car on the road before spring so I gotta get the ball rolling on buying all this stuff and figuring out what Iím going to do with my headsÖ

Iíll post up progress/pix when I get startedÖ.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Where do you live? It doesn't make a ton of sense to send your heads to the east coast if you live in California and vice verse. The Gates timing belt kit seems to be the one to go with. As far as gaskets etc, I would go with OEM. Same with injectors.. what would be the point in running a higher flowing injector on a stock setup? That would mean you would have to get the car custom tuned for the injectors just for it to be able to run, and there would be zero advantage since you wouldn't be maxing out the stock injectors anyway. I would just clean the stock injectors, replace the o-rings/seals, and put them back in.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.