2012 WRX CEL & possible boost leak
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2012 WRX CEL & possible boost leak within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So my engine idles rough, and recently my CEL came on. I'm getting three codes P0102 - Mass or Volume ...

2012 WRX CEL & possible boost leak

So my engine idles rough, and recently my CEL came on. I'm getting three codes

P0102 - Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low
    P0304 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
    P0113 - Intake Air Temp Sensor Circuit Malfunction (High Input)

I brought it to the dealership and they swapped the coils and plugs with cylinder 2, which did not solve the problem. They also performed a leakdown which came back at 6%. They said that was "a little higher than normal".

I bought a Cobb AP and sent in a datalog for Cobb to look at. They said AF Learning 1 is adjusting fuel trim in a way that suggests I'm running rich, and that I'm underboosting. Apparently these characteristics together almost always indicate that there is a boost leak in the intake tract, and a common failure point is the pre-throttle body hose, so they recommended I replace that. I looked into AF Learning 1 and it could be doing this due to a bad or dirty MAF sensor or a bad front O2 sensor.

I get the feeling all of this is related, but I really have no experience in this area.

I've read Donkey's thread on misfires. My current plan is to replace the throttle body hose and clean the MAF. I guess I'm wondering if anything else should be done first, or what I should do after. Also, I had the code cleared, and it stayed off for roughly 1000 miles. When my car was idling for an extended period is when the code came back on.

Everything is stock.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Water.....sometimes waves rqjoe's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Initial thoughts are that if it were an actual 'bad' O2 sensor or dirty MAF sensor, you would not have gone those 1000 miles without the CEL coming back on.

That's a good point. Hadn't really thought about it that way. Hopefully sorting out the boost leak will clear things up.

I am haveing the same issue with my 08 wrx if you solve the issue please let me know how you did it and if I figure it out I'll post it in here

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.