2004 Subaru Impreza WRX burning brake smell in turbo area?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX burning brake smell in turbo area? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, I'm new here and i'm just trying to get some questions answered about this car that i'm thinking about ...

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX burning brake smell in turbo area?

Hi, I'm new here and i'm just trying to get some questions answered about this car that i'm thinking about buying. I just test drove a 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX today that has 76,000 miles on it and it looks like a couple of mods. From what i can see it has a K&N Cold Air Intake, Exhaust might just be CAT back, a boost gauge that sits on the top left of the steering column, and a silver rectangular box with lines going in and out near turbo area and i'm not sure if its a oil catch or what? This car is at a dealership and it had one owner and i'm trying to see if i can get a hold of that owner to ask some questions but can't until the sales person asks him if he want to talk to me. I noticed a couple of things that seemed different.
    1st - I noticed a burning like brake smell coming from the turbo area and nowhere else.
    2nd - When turning right, the front left squeals but goes away when pressing the brakes.
    3rd - A little bit of a burning oil smell inside the car, no smoke when idle or on take off. Do these burn a little oil over time?

It runs and drives awesome, shifts smooth and pulls really hard but i'm just not sure with the burning brake smell coming from the turbo area. If you guys could help me out i would appreciate it a lot.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Actually a SuperSpy. Take Care. SD_GR's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    There's some sort of fluid leak. Either oil, PS fluid, or axle grease.

The car should not smell.

Find a better car.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    “... you can't get away from yourself by moving from one place to another.” Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Walk away. Don't buy a basket case these cars are widely available in good condition. Don't impulse buy something with any problems.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The car has not gone through there service yet. But he said that after it gets out of service he will get a hold of me and tell me if there are any problems but I know how that goes. So should I still walk away? If there is a warranty option should see what it covers and grab it?

Actually a SuperSpy. Take Care. SD_GR's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That's not possible to answer remotely and with limited info. You can have the car checked by an independent mechanic for a qualified second opinion.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    “... you can't get away from yourself by moving from one place to another.” Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I ended up buying it. I took it to a little town mechanic to have it inspected and there ended up being a guy who works there that really loves these cars and he checked it out good for me he had it on the lift for like an hour. He found the valve covers where leaking which was what I expected but also 3 of the 4 coilovers which I think where tein where leaking but I was gonna replace those with forester ones anyways. I like it a lot, it's a really clean car. I am still trying to get a hold of the original owner to get more information about the car but still no luck. I have 1 more question for you guys. I just recently found this little switch thing that is right next to the cruise control and fog lights button. It has a + and - button and it goes from 0-9 and I'm not sure what it is. I attached the picture to this post hopefully you guys could help me figure out what it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0567_1449970384149.jpg   DSC_0568_1449970417615.jpg  

Does it have those adjusting headlights?

Just went out and checked, does nothing to the headlights.

Do you know what I'm talking about? It took me a bit to notice it but the move up and down. It may not be that, just a guess. Perhaps follow the wiring.

Yea i know what your talking about, i had the headlights on and went through the 1-9 and i didn't notice them moving any in the driveway. What i did notice was when i was cycling through them the idle changed somewhat on some of them. Do think that it could be like different tunes/programs for the ecu?

That I don't know, I doubt it. The idle change could be a powered accessory coming on and having a large draw. Perhaps it is wired to the throttle somehow. I would follow the wires personally.

Roger that, i will check it out tomorrow. Thanks for your help!

I figured out that it has a turboxs utec piggyback and that is where that little switch goes too. It has preset modes for each number and i'm not sure what each number is programmed for. Also not sure on how to find out what each which number was tuned for.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.