Subaru WRX Forum banner

Bad turbo symptoms?

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mustwarnorcas 
#1 ·
Just got this baby on Tuesday and I am already having some problems with it! at first I thought I was the tranny because I hear some faint whining and it wasn't as fast as the 11 I drove, but last night I started feeling really down on power right at 3,000 rpm when the turbo spools up. So I am starting to lean toward that.

When I get to 3k on the gas the tach kind of dips a little and then continues to go up but the boost is basically non existent. Sound like a bad turbo?

If so what would be a good replacement? May as well get an upgrade but I don't want to go crazy since it sucked up all my money just to get the car. I would rather have a fast spool then tons of top end. But a bit more power then stick would be welcome.

Thanks in advance I look forward to learning more about these cars! I love it already!

#4 ·
Could be several things man. Take it to dealership and get it looked at. If they come back and say it needs work then either do yourself or find someone that's reasonable. That's what I would do.

Because you just got it, it wouldn't hurt to know where it stands in and out!!! How many miles, post pics!!!

#5 ·
Sounds like your clutch is slipping to me. Good reputable Subaru shop should be of help. Unless it's under warranty taking it to the dealer is a lame idea.

If you're hearing "faint whining" etc. It's always a good idea on ANY new vehicle to do a complete fluid flush. If it's never been done I'm sure the trans and rear diff would love some Motul 300 75w90 and an oil change never hurts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.