Subaru WRX Forum banner

Subaru and the Takata Airbag Recall

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  MelS 
#1 ·
Hi ClubWRX!

In July 2015 I received a letter from Subaru letting me know that my car was affected by the Takata airbag recall. The letter said that they would contact me again once they had parts to repair my vehicle. It also said that I should not let anyone ride in the passenger seat because of the risk posed by the airbag.

It has been 4 months and I have not heard anything more. Has anyone else received a similar letter? Has anyone been contacted to get their vehicle repaired?

See less See more
#2 ·
My '05 with 201k still goes to the dealership for oil changes. I didn't get the letter.
I was last there 3 weeks ago, they had the part in stock. Fixed it for free and gave my car a much needed wash.

Just call up your local dealership and schedule something with them.

#3 ·
Well, I called the three nearest dealerships today: two transferred me to voicemail, and the last one said the part is special order. Unfortunately they also said that they wouldn't make service appointments on weekends. Since I'm not interested in skipping work for this, I choose not to use that dealership. One of the two dealers where I left a voice message called me back, collected my VIN and said they'd call me back again after checking on parts status. I guess they didn't care enough to call back today.

thanks for your response, UEdan. I'll be persistent. Either that or I'll just not care about fixing it. Too much hassle.

#4 ·
Assuming that you don't get in a wreck with someone in the front passenger seat, your strategy is just fine. Personally I would want my passengers protected as much as possible in a crash and having a defective inflator in the air bag that "could rupture sending metal fragments" into the car and people in the car isn't my idea of protecting anyone.

Sure it might be just fine... but the only way to know if you don't get it replaced is to set off the air bag and hope it is functioning correctly.

I'd try working with the dealer to get it fixed at a time that is convenient for you. My local dealer furnished me a loaner car (brand new Forester) when I had it in recently for warranty work -- i'd think they would do the same for a recall if the repair is going to take more than a couple of hours. Maybe you could take it in the night before, get the loaner and then pick it up the next day.

#5 ·
I'm probably just lacking patience. I received a call back today from one of the dealers, saying that they had ordered the parts and that they'd call back to schedule an appointment after it came in. It seems that they also can't make this repair on a weekend, but at least said they may be able to do it on one of their later week-day evenings. The person I spoke with made no mention of loaning me a car (not that I'd feel comfortable leaving my car anyway).

#6 ·
Well, today i had this service performed. I hope that my car is safer. I just wish i didn't have to go through with this recall; i feel very anxious letting someone else touch my car, especially a car shop.

i also think they washed the wax off of my car. i wish they had asked first.

#7 ·
Late comer to the conversation here...I have received a few of these letters and have hesitated to take my WRX in because it is usually only me in the car. Contacted dealership and they said it takes 2-3 business days. Much like you I was hesitant to leave my car, although they did offer a loaner. Has anyone had a good or bad experience they care to share? Just curious if this is going to be a straight forward process.

#8 ·
when i had this done, it was finished in the hour or so that i sat in the dealership. i was annoyed that it took so long, on account of me having removed the glove box to make access easier.

they didn't just change the part, they performed an inspection to tell me all of the purchasable services they could offer. it doesn't make sense for this recall work to take a few days, in my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.