HELP! Clutch issues - 2013 WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on HELP! Clutch issues - 2013 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello everyone, new to the forums here. So HI! Little bit about me quick I guess... I just graduated from ...

Unhappy HELP! Clutch issues - 2013 WRX

Hello everyone, new to the forums here. So HI!

Little bit about me quick I guess... I just graduated from College, got a good job, and bought a certified pre-owned 2013 WRX Hatchback with 21k miles. Being certified pre-owned I can just take it to the dealer for the following issues and use my powertrain warranty, but I was hoping someone could give me some insight to what is going on here with my clutch. I feel I'm a fairly decent driver with a stick. My first car was a stick and it had 100k miles on the original clutch... so I'm not sure I am at fault for this, but here we go:

I have owned my WRX for about 4 weeks now and put just under 1000 miles on it. So I admit I've killed it a few times, and over revved once or twice just getting used to the car, but nothing like riding the clutch or anything excessive. Anyways, yesterday on the way to work it was pretty cold out and I was taking it easy, then when pulling away from a stop sign at like 2000 RPMs my clutch just started vibrating like crazy, both when pressing in the clutch, and releasing it. Like to the point it made my car hard to drive. The clutch still felt solid, no weird play or anything like that, it was just shaking like mad and did so all the way to work. I was only like a block from work so I just parked it at work and came back out after my 8.5 hour shift just hoping the issue went away and I imagined it all... but alas it was real... I started my car, and it was STILL shaking like crazy. At this point I'm freaking out lol, I proceeded to drive home and drove as carefully as I possibly could and this is where it gets weird. Over the course of my 10 mile drive the clutch vibrations gradually went away. First it stopped vibrating when pressing in the clutch, and towards the end of my drive it stopped all together. Then today I drove like 30 miles and it happened again, but only for like 10 or 15 seconds and it stopped.....

So my question is what am I looking at here? The only thing that seems reasonable to me is perhaps my throwout bearing... I'm just clueless and honestly don't know a whole lot about the inner workings of clutch/gearbox stuff. I have an appointment to get into the dealer this Saturday but I'm beating myself up over this and would really like some insight into what's going on asap. The dealership was totally useless on the phone and just kept saying they'd take a look on Saturday. I've wanted a WRX since I was like 12 years old (i'm 25) so my car is unbeliveably important to me... I let it warm up every day before I drive it, and have been taking crazy good care of it... so any suggestions, or insight from any forumgoers here would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Edit: Not sure if important but it's bone stock, never been modded according to all the records I found (first owner leased it)
    Last edited by JTO; 10-28-2015 at 09:28 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

On a dock by the bay
    Had the exact same thing happen to me at 24k. Had the car since new, not new to clutches either. No launches and no mods.

My issue: Vibrating clutch pedal, felt like air was in the clutch line at first. Would usually go away after I put the car in neutral and pump the clutch a few times. Issue would reoccur mostly after high revving (merging at highway speeds)

Took 4 trips to the dealer, (They kept saying they could get the issue to replicate) after I pressed more, they replaced the clutch fluid first. issue still happening. Then checked the firewall weld. Issue still happening. Then FINALLY I got the issue to replicate with the tech driving the car and they replaced the entire clutch assembly Clutch, flywheel, throw out bearing etc.

The tech was super cool, and explained to me that in our transmissions, the throw out bearing is a common issue. Apparently, the bearing has no retainer clips and floats using grease on the quill/fork. Once this grease this out, the bearing is free to move causing premature wear.

The tech said that this WILL happen again, because it is a design flaw that Subaru refuses to fix. And when it does, to install this kit: TSK3 Snout Repair Kit for select turbo 5MT Legacy/WRX/Forester - Drivetrain -

I am at 40k now, and no such issues have arisen...yet...... But when it does, I will be installing the above kit.

Kinda crappy on Subaru's part to not address this issue. I guess its easier to blame the driver.

Assuming you are experiencing the same issue as I did, go into the dealership this weekend and calmly plead your case. Most likely they will try to write you off at first. But if you stay persistent and professional and explain what you think it is, and why I am sure you won't have any problems getting this fixed under warranty.

Hope this helps.
    "Straight roads are for fast cars, curvy roads are for fast drivers." -Colin McRae

On a dock by the bay
    Also, Welcome! And fill out your profile!
    "Straight roads are for fast cars, curvy roads are for fast drivers." -Colin McRae

New Jersey
    I Support ClubWRX
    The clutch pedal was vibrating almost shuddering when your were pressing it in?
    If thats the issue I have had it happen to me a few times not really sure why it happens but I read online that you just need to pump the pedal 5 or so time and its back to normal.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Cobb Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Shifter Bushings | Stoptech Pads & Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI Morimoto Mini H1 Quad HID Retrofit | XSB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley | Perrin Cold Air Intake | CNT Catted Divorced Downpipe W/Titanium Wrap and Grimmspeed Heatshild | Grimmspeed Pink Radiator Shroud & Alternator Cover

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX Build

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.