Questions About Brakes
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Questions About Brakes within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi All, I've got a 2013 WRX with the original OEM pads still on, and it just turned 50k miles. ...

I Support ClubWRX

Questions About Brakes

Hi All,

I've got a 2013 WRX with the original OEM pads still on, and it just turned 50k miles.

There's a bit of shudder going on after the brakes get heated up coming down a long mountain road, or a few laps into some HPDE driving. This is a new thing. When they cool back down everything is fine. No shudder and the car stops as good as ever.

A few weeks ago the dealer did an inspection of the car during servicing, and they gave the brakes a green light all the way around. I've read a lot of other posts, and I am still not sure where my issue falls into line.

My understanding is that if the rotors are warped, they're always going to give a shuddering in the steering wheel. But if the issue is material buildup on the rotor and the shudder goes away, it has nothing to do with the rotor. If a rotor needs to be turned, can it cause the brake material to build up and cause the temporary shudder?

I eventually want to get the Hawk HPS pads, but don't want to jump the gun if a simple resurfacing fixes the issue.

Thanks everyone, lots of great info on the site.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Resurfacing will only put a band-aid on the issue.
    Best option is to look into some better rotors at the same time as new pads (Talk to the boys at KNS brakes)

Also, do a little more research before jumping into HPS pads. They are well liked by some... but there are superior options for much cheaper.

This is the best bang for the buck you will get.
    Heat treated rotors (much more resistant to warping)
    https://www.knsbrakes.com/c/car-seri...nce+Brake+Pads

Also another excellent option, for a much cheaper price point
    https://www.knsbrakes.com/c/car-seri...tted+Sport+Kit

Can you tell I'm a fan of stoptech?
    "Straight roads are for fast cars, curvy roads are for fast drivers." -Colin McRae

Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy) SD_GR's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I doubt the rotors are warped. I'd suspect the pads themselves instead. If the shudder comes from the steering wheel suspect the front pads. If the shudder comes from the pedal suspect the rear pads.
    Les jeux sont faits.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    I appreciate the info. Looks like some good options.

I Support ClubWRX
    Interesting, haven't heard that before. It's definitely the front then. I will have it looked at. Thanks guys.

I don't typically trust when they tell me my brakes are good or bad. You usually have to remove the wheel and calipers to get a good visual as to the real condition.

I'll be honest I rarely go through rear brakes 50, 60k isn't absurd to me. But 50k on front brakes, that's way more than I've ever achieved.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy) SD_GR's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    My record stands at 120K miles for fronts. I changed the rears at the same time for no apparent reason.
    Les jeux sont faits.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.