2006 WRX underboost issue
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2006 WRX underboost issue within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone! I first want to start off by saying this is my first time posting on this forum and ...

2006 WRX underboost issue

Hey everyone! I first want to start off by saying this is my first time posting on this forum and recently purchased my first Subaru. I bought a 2006 wrx In August '15 from a used car dealership. I know..I know.. a risky move. The wrx has 112,000 miles, very clean, and had a long maintenance history on carfax. I'm a Chrysler Technician and have good mechanical knowledge. I inspected the car very thoroughly, Undercarriage has little to no rust, engine bay spotless, interior 9/10, body 9/10. Had minimal mods, although put up a red flag right away. HKS vta bov, HKS Hi-power catback exhaust, and a short ram air intake. Test drove vehicle for about 30 min, no abnormal noises and drove very well. The only thing that stood out to me was that I was expecting it to have better acceleration. Before this I dailyed my Miata for the last 3 years, and this wrx felt about the same, but with more torque. So, long story short I bought it and it has been a PITA since. What I've done since buying it after realizing somethings wrong: Stock temp NGK Iridium sparkplugs gapped to .028", Fuel line feed side damper (Had knocking sound by driver side door sill area a day after buying it), Mishimoto intercooler hose kit, cleaned throttle body and new gasket, intercooler bpv gasket, intercooler y-pipe gaskets, a Perrin turbo inlet hose, replaced hks bov with a stock BPV. I also performed
    a compression and leak down test on the engine. Compression test results were 135 psi (dry) on all cylinders. Leak down test results were Cyl.#1- 7% Cyl.#2- 7%Cyl.#3- 13% Cyl. #4- 7%.
    All cylinders were leaking by crankcase blow-by. Ran vehicle up to operating temp and took oil cap off. Has a good amount of blow-by, but no smoke and just smells like oil not exhaust gases. Flipped oil cap up-side down and placed cap on oil filling hole, showed that the blow-by has a equal vacuum sucking in. I believe the engine is in decent condition and not part of my underboost issue. When replacing the turbo inlet (PITA install) I was just able to get my finger tips on the compressor impeller. The impeller had a <1/8" wobble side to side , being my first boosted car I instantly thought it had a bad turbo. After researching on the subie forums i found that it's normal due to when the engine is running the oil takes up this clearance. I couldn't get a great grip on the shaft, but from what I can tell it doesn't have any in-out shaft play. Also no whining/screaming/grinding under accel/boost. So, from there no difference has been made. After more hours of forum browsing I started looking into the waste gate/actuator. Actuator holds vacuum, moves with pressure applied, and is connected properly. Tested/cleaned boost solenoid- working correctly. Checked all vacuum lines, checked for restrictor pill and proper line routing to wategate solenoid and actuator- all good. I currently have no data-logging software at this time. I hooked up a basic scan tool from work and did some live data runs. Everything looked good except the Maf was maxing out at 120 g/sec at 5k + rpm in any gear. My understanding is it is suppose to be mid to upper 200's?? Cleaned the maf a couple time with maf cleaner, reset ecu with no difference. My next step was to get a cheap boost gauge, hooked it up and did some pulls..... 5psi-7psi in 3rd gear. 5 ish psi is 1st and 2nd. Stock is 11.5 psi? So, after more forum searching I started looking into the wastgate actuator since i'm running right around waste gate pressure, 7psi. Ended up pulling off the vacuum line off actuator and took it for a careful ride. Same result 7 psi max in 3rd gear, above 4.5k rpm. . Next step I did was remove actuator rod and wire strap the wastegate shut, and take it for another drive. Same result, so now i'm stumped. Next i'm going to do a boost leak test even though all the hoses are new. Maybe the intercooler has a hole or end-tanks leaking (had intercooler off and inspected for damage nothing found, also straightened all bent fins on intercooler). Boost gauge goes right up to 5-7 psi rapidly every time and holds steady. Vacuum is at -22 idle, -24 decel. Goes right to zero jabbing throttle in neutral. 0-60 mph takes about 9 seconds. So my ideas are a large boost leak (new hoses, steady boost and no squealing leads to no boost leak?), large exhaust leak or clogged cat (exhaust is very quiet even with hks hi-power muffler w/no baffle.) Bad turbo (no abnormal noises under boost), Engine issue (even though unplugging hose off actuator by-passes all electrical limitations like boost solenoid, ecu pulling timing). I've done a hand full of ecu resets with no improvements. I'm running 93 octane. I'd appreciate any help or tips in trying to solve this issue, Thanks!!
    Last edited by Sayre1525; 09-13-2015 at 05:01 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.