2016 WRX making clunk? metal clashing? suspension clank? sound....Normal?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2016 WRX making clunk? metal clashing? suspension clank? sound....Normal? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi everyone, I recently purchased 2016 WRX Limited. I noticed that i heard clunking noise over rough big bumps (Not ...

2016 WRX making clunk? metal clashing? suspension clank? sound....Normal?

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased 2016 WRX Limited.

I noticed that i heard clunking noise over rough big bumps (Not smooth or small bumps - Like bad roads with ditches, broken pavement)
    The sounds is only noticeable with the windows down, and when the rear wheels go over the bad road.
    I took it to the dealership and said that sound is normal.
    Thus, i did a little bit of researching and found that new wrx has multilink suspension, and sound could be make for those?
    I personally think it might be from the layers of cover underneath the car for protection.
    But those are made with plastics, and i am sure i hear thin metal clashing clunky clashy sound.

I honestly have no problem with the handling at all.
    It is only the sound....

Is anyone having the same issue with their 2015 or 2016 wrx?

I dont know if this sound is normal or not...

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

-Jae-

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I do hear some slight sound over larger bumps as describe. I have not paid it any mind yet. My old Buick sounded like it was going to fall apart over the same larger bumps
    "Hey man there's only one thing
    And one car that will do"
    And its a WRX Subaru

have you checked your tire pressure?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by petamat View Post
    have you checked your tire pressure?
    Petamat,

First question, PETA meaning.... People Eating Tasty Animals?

Second, how does the tire pressure affect this potentially? I have the same noise that OP is talking about, I notice it occasionally when I also press the clutch in when the drivetrain is still under load (on a hill / preparing to coast shortly to a stop) Noticed it after about 10k miles and am at 17k now.

i guess normal??

I notice the car DOES NOT LIKE speed bumps. Sounds like I'm back in my 2004 sti.

I think this is what you are also hearing . Mine is pretty tight in all road conditions I've encountered, but it only has 1k miles.

Mine came with 42 psi in the tires or something equally ridiculous so you may want to check that. GL

I have read a lot of people who have check there new car's tire pressures and have found them over inflated mine included
    with the suspension on these cars being stiff to start with and so Finley tuned that the wrong tire pressure can potential change the way it handles , feels and sounds over different surfaces
    with a potential long list of possible reasons for the noise it was my first thought and easiest place to start trouble shooting

PS not People eating tasty animals .. but I like it

I have had the same problem (not sure if its a problem). And I hear a clunk when I shift gears, I believe its from rear diff. Not from engine bay. However, I am not able to point out whats causing this sound.

Any advise ?

NOTE: got my WRX 16 Base on Monday (2 days back).

Okay, I identified that the sounds is only making when the rear wheels go over bumps or ditches.
    AND, congrats on ur WRX!!

I have yet to find out if this is normal or not, but it surely is annoying to hear it when I'm cruising around town with my windows down...
    I only got a feedback from my dealer saying that it is normal, but you should also visit your dealer just to note it.

I am keep thinking that it might be the bottom layer of cover...
    Is there anyway how i can fix this? Adding like a small sponge in between the layers?? LOL

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrijae View Post
    Okay, I identified that the sounds is only making when the rear wheels go over bumps or ditches.
    AND, congrats on ur WRX!!

I have yet to find out if this is normal or not, but it surely is annoying to hear it when I'm cruising around town with my windows down...
    I only got a feedback from my dealer saying that it is normal, but you should also visit your dealer just to note it.

I am keep thinking that it might be the bottom layer of cover...
    Is there anyway how i can fix this? Adding like a small sponge in between the layers?? LOL
    Tetrijae,

I did some digging online, nothing specific to the 15's that is very common yet but I have been seeing a lot of related issues that lead to the rear differential and possibly endlinks. Some guys have gone to personal mechanics whom disassemble things and take some measurements and some have gone to dealerships. As you said most of the response is "its normal" but.... clunking noises as a mechanic to me never settle well. I'm gonna take mine to the dealer perhaps next week or over next weekend and see what they say as well. Maybe we can get to the bottom of this.

Do you ever experience it when you are shifting out of gear at low speeds as well? I do (Generally when coming to a stop or shifting out of first while slowing down)

I have not experienced that kind of sound shifting out...
    Maybe due to that fact that i have cvt instead of manual.
    But as you said, i will try what you said with manual mode.

Please share your story when you visit ur mech or dealer, i am very interested...

I found this thread after searching because my 2016 WRX is 2 days old, 150 miles and my wife and I both heard "clunking" or "clanking" noises when we took the car out. Specifically when driving very slowly in 1st and 2nd gear/shifting 1st to 2nd.
    I didn't notice or cant remember hearing it since getting the car a few days ago, but its entirely possible it was there and we just had the windows up/AC on and didn't hear it.
    So that being said: is the consensus here that its normal and don't worry about it or should I report to the dealer? Fact is when you have the windows down or you are standing outside the car and shift (not roughly mind you) through the gears you hear fairly loud clunking noises.

Edit: just made an appt with the dealer, ill post back what they say. Im anticipating I'll get 'thats normal' but still the metal clashing sounds just raise red flag with me on a brand new car.
    Last edited by jaredboy; 08-28-2015 at 08:44 AM.

I do find it when I shift on low gears especially 1 and 2, downshifting as I near bumps. I am going to take it to the dealer in another two weeks or so. It's really a concern.

So to report back: problem fixed. I drove it past a friend and noticed it was on the drives side rear. We jacked the car up in the air and spun the tires and heard something rolling around inside the rear driver's wheel. Turned out to be the TPMS sensor was apparently busted when mounting my all season tires and was rolling around in there.
    That being said I've tested the car a lot after they took the tire off, fixed the sensor and remounted.
    No noises when driving 5-18 mph through the parking lot; even over speed bumps no noises at all. When I shift through all the gears it is fairly noisy, but, I never hear clunks while driving and shifting so I think its normal. if your car is very noisy going over speed bumps I would probably have that checked out.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.