New to turbos, lurching/chugging(?), low rpms
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New to turbos, lurching/chugging(?), low rpms within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, as stated im new to turbos and pretty much cars in general. I have not had much experience fixing ...

Question New to turbos, lurching/chugging(?), low rpms

Hi, as stated im new to turbos and pretty much cars in general. I have not had much experience fixing cars and diagnosing them as far as engine/tranny issues go. I am here to learn everything I can, I do not think im going to learn everything in 6 months and be a master modder/tuner. Although my goal is to get to know as much as possible and be the one on here helping diagnose problems with you guys.

Anyways, this is my first car, i've had trucks, but never a car especially a turbo car. I just purchased my '15 WRX limited about a month and a half ago. This is not my first standard but, it has been a while since i've driven one so the car took minor amounts of abuse the first couple days, nothing major though (no grinding just hard shifts, and clutch abuse). I broke the car in for the first 1500km as suggested by the dealer and gave it another 500km just for good measure. when I hit the 2000km mark I will not lie I did enjoy the car to its fullest. Of course I was not doing redline pulls every time all the time but I was definitely doing them daily for about week (or at least hard pulls maybe not always redline). I have over downshifted one time being dumb and almost cried for my syncros. I have been a lot more careful now when aggressively driving. I am at about 8000km on the odometer now. This is where the problem comes in. for the past month, id say 90% of the time when i gas from 50% throttle to 100% between 2000 and 3000rpm it "lurches", "chugs" (?). I am having a horrible time trying to find the right word to describe it. It is almost like warped brake rotors wen you brake hard and you get a back and forth kind of "smooth" shake not side to side, if that makes sense, but obviously when im accelerating not braking. It doesn't happen at any other rpm rage in any other gear. I talked to the dealer when i first started noticing it (BEFORE it was past the 1500km break in) and the just told me "its a learning computer give it time to adjust t your driving.

My friend has been running a cat back exhaust and cobb intake in his '13 ecoboost 3.5 twin turbo f150 CVT. he says that ever since the intake and exhaust he has had the same problem i am having under medium to hard acceleration, but his is not at lower 2000-300rpm range. I believe the problem is happening in 3rd gear not 2nd(i have felt and experienced it in his truck as well). He just installed an access port and the problem persists through the 4 pre loaded maps, and a custom map he downloaded.

I am assuming this is turbo related? like i said this is my first vehicle with a turbo, and my friends ecboost is his first turbo vehicle. Neither of us have experienced this issue before wit previous vehicles without turbos.

Before you say "YOUR UNDER WARRANTY JUST GO IN", true i am but with their shops schedule and mine it is not always the easiest to get in, and they have already once dismissed it as the ECU learning. i want to be able to go in when i do with some firepower and more than just "my car feels funny, fix it"

i appreciate any and all replies, thanks a lot guys!

2. Remove Advertisements

WOT is a bad thing at low RPM.. don't do it. I think it's recommend to wait untill 3000 to 3500 before blasting the fuel peddle. I want to say my car would do the same (based on other experiences) if I tried that

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.