A noob needs advice about oil...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on A noob needs advice about oil... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi guys, I have an 05 wrx and got the oil changed at the dealer with synthetic. My normal operating ...

A noob needs advice about oil...

Hi guys,
    I have an 05 wrx and got the oil changed at the dealer with synthetic. My normal operating pressure while driving seems to be 65-80 depending on conditions. The oil Guage is now spiking past it's max of 100 and tries to almost appear to want to keep climbing. I took it in the them yesterday and they came out and said it was working normal. I came out because even on the way to drop it off it was spiking. Sure enough the pressure was about 60ish. He said he drove it for 5 miles with no issues. I took it home and it was just fine. This morning I go out and start it and upon startup it jumps to about 85 while at idle. On the way to work 5 mins into the drive it's peaking again. I need to take it back but don't know what to tell em to do. And they seem to not know what would cause it. I live in Az and it's always hot. Is there a certain oil they should use. It's the scottsdale dealership shouldn't they know what oil to use?

Sorry for the long post but figured id try and give as much back story as possible. Here's a pic of the Guage on the way into work today...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    What weight oil did they use? How much oil did they add? What is the pressure at idle when the oil is hot? Have you checked the pressure with a secondary manual gauge to ensure that your gauge is reading correctly?

Over 100psi on cold startup is normal in my experience. Unless they put the wrong weight oil in the car, I would guess that the gauge is wrong.

They used 5W30. 75 psi is normal for this car at startup based on what I remember. A buddy said they may have over filled it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MLG_2EZ View Post
    A buddy said they may have over filled it.

Did you check the level? Most shops will just add 5 quarts, which is technically over filling, but that much won't hurt anything.. it would show about 1/2 quart high over the full mark on the dip stick.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.