coolant temp at idle question, any help?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on coolant temp at idle question, any help? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hello. car is a 2002 wrx has vf34,supporting mods, and tuned. My problem just seemed to start over the last ...

coolant temp at idle question, any help?

hello. car is a 2002 wrx
    has vf34,supporting mods, and tuned.

My problem just seemed to start over the last couple days, on the accessport the car was reading for coolant temp around 192-196 while driving and would go to 203 at a stop then go back down. now I have noticed that the car will be around 194-198 while normal driving and highway and go to 205 at a stop. But the problem im worried about is that when it gets to 205 the fans seem to turn on but the temp does go lower it just stays at 205 or sometimes goes to 207 while idling for long enough. Would that be a bad thermostat or what? im kinda stumped thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That's sort of the same problem I'm chasing right now. I burped the system and it helped a little, but I was doing it wrong like a noob. I'm gonna do it right again later and see if it helps.

Have you checked for leaks, fluid levels, check the exhaust for white smoke, things of that nature to assure there isn't another proboem

I Support ClubWRX
    Where do you live? and when was the last time a coolant flush was performed?
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned by Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I live in texas and not sure since I got the car back a couple months ago, the coolant is alittle lower then all the way full but then the coolant reservoir is above the full mark. Is it normal for the temp to hit 205 at idle then just stay there

Is the dash temp gauge reading hot? I don't know exact numbers but you will always get warmer at idle as there is no air flow over the condenser. The fact that the fans are turning on also sounds normal to me. I know that on the Fords I used to work on anything around ~200 degrees at idle was normal so it doesn't really sound like anything is wrong to me.
    Are you having any issues or are you just curious?
    Member of the 2015 WRX owners black sheep club
    A WRX/STI beginners Guide:
    No one can decide if an STI or WRX is right for you. Drive them and decide.
    Yes, that requires a tune...
    Read your owners manual.
    Don't drive like an idiot.

Was curious cause when it hits 205 shouldn't it cool itself down to a lower temp while still idling?

I Support ClubWRX
    Kind of yes and kind of no. It should really stay pretty much pinned to one spot period. Have you tried burping it?

Sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned by Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX
    Ya what's it showing on the gauge?
    I don't know the numbers but in is always consistent running just a bit over the halfway mark

Where exactly is it reading? And does the gauge fluctuate as well?

Mine did this a while back...burped the system and was fine (removed the turbo and had a bit of air still trapped)
    Stinkeye member 520

Thanks for the feedback and the gauge on the car isnt going up its staying in the middle its just the accessport is showing the temp go to 205-207 at idle and not go back down until I start driving again. Would a new resavoir cap be a fix? I might just try swapping the one out for a oem one since the one that is on there now doesn't seem to be oem since it doesn't have a orange warning sticker on it

I Support ClubWRX
    Doesn't sound like there's an issue then if the gauge stays in the middle.

But I also can't read coolant temp with my accessport to verify what mine does either

The cap could still be oem. It's a sticker and over time they'll fade off, loose their adhesives, engine bay washing can tear them off too
    Stinkeye member 520

Yeah, I really don't think you have any issues at the moment. I wouldn't worry too much about the radiator cap. If you really want to do something, make sure your condenser is clear from debris and not all bent up and then do a coolant flush.
    Member of the 2015 WRX owners black sheep club
    A WRX/STI beginners Guide:
    No one can decide if an STI or WRX is right for you. Drive them and decide.
    Yes, that requires a tune...
    Read your owners manual.
    Don't drive like an idiot.

I would be sure your running Subaru OEM coolant in the system and properly burp the system, but 205 seems about right.

Ok and I'm pretty sure it's subaru coolant(darker green) I'm just going to try the cap since it does look like an aftermarket one in a way and I have taken it on and off quite a bit over the few months. But 205 is fine to be at? And staying rhere? Cause I would think the fans should kick on and lower the temp at a stop when it gets to that temp

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by substi555 View Post
    Ok and I'm pretty sure it's subaru coolant(darker green) I'm just going to try the cap since it does look like an aftermarket one in a way and I have taken it on and off quite a bit over the few months. But 205 is fine to be at? And staying rhere? Cause I would think the fans should kick on and lower the temp at a stop when it gets to that temp
    The fans have a logic to them.

On the 2002 car turbo car, if the temp is below 95C, the fan is off.

If the temp is between 95C and 99C and the speed is below 43 kph, the fan is on.

If the temp stays in that region but the speed increases beyond 43 kph, the fan is off.

If the temp exceeds 100C the fan is on regardless of vehicle speed.

If the A/C is turned on (this includes the defroster regardless of A/C switch position) then the fans switch to A/C mode instead.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I hear the fans turn on and I can see both of them working but the coolant temp stays the same (205) at idle. I don't get why it wouldn't cool itself down.
    Last edited by substi555; 04-06-2015 at 10:53 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.