K&M Air Filter Question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on K&M Air Filter Question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay, I put the K&M air filter into my 2014 WRX Limited. I have been cleaning it as per manufacturer ...

K&M Air Filter Question

Okay, I put the K&M air filter into my 2014 WRX Limited. I have been cleaning it as per manufacturer recommendations. Frankly, I wasn't expecting any real noticeable gains with it (and liked the idea of a reusable filter that would generate less waste). But I have to admit, it's a bit of a pain-in-the-ass to clean the filter properly. It also requires a fair amount of time and patience to do what would otherwise take 30 seconds.

I am thinking of ditching it and going back to paper...

Thoughts?

PS: The car is chipped and modded with an NVidia downpipe, Greenspoon adaptor and a Maddad 3" exhaust. It is sweetly tuned as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The oiled K&N seems to be falling out of favor due to the possibility of over oiling and skewing the MAF sensor readings. I used one for a time and went back to paper after reading an article that indicated the filtration was not that good. I know I have posted this here somewhere in the past - a few / several years ago.

AEM now has a dry reusable. Don't know about its filtration abilities.
    Moderator for: Dealership, Vendor, and Installer Review, Detailing Forum, Engine Modifications, Exterior & Appearance, Mid-Atlantic States, New Member Hangout, Off Topic, Suspension & Wheels, Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Found some info:

K&N filter efficiency | Engine Air Filters | Bob Is The Oil Guy

Post #3657922 has what appears to have solid "official looking" data: http://autohifidiszkont.hu/bmw-tunin...szuroteszt.pdf Could be BS cooked up by AEM, who knows.

I'm pretty sure the old article I referenced above (post #2) was from bobistheoilguy.com. I'm a member there, but have not posted in a long time.

This might be it: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

More:

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 03-30-2015 at 05:06 PM.
    Moderator for: Dealership, Vendor, and Installer Review, Detailing Forum, Engine Modifications, Exterior & Appearance, Mid-Atlantic States, New Member Hangout, Off Topic, Suspension & Wheels, Tri-State
    Mods & Pics

I don't like K&N air filters. Its nearly impossible to get them cleaned and re-oiled properly and good enough to actually capture particles.

In most applications a paper filter provides more than adequate air flow, and far superior cleaning.

For External Use Only irickchad's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'm assuming you mean K&N. They're good filters, and if you buy the cleaning kit for them they take next to no time to clean. Spray on the degreaser, let it sit 5 mins, rinse it under a faucet... let it dry.. spray the oil... not too bad.

I don't know what "chipped" and "sweetly tuned" mean.
    The Anti-N00b. Use "Search", YES, you need a tune. NO, you don't need a BOV. Don't try to make you car shoot fire, and change your freaking oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Wtf do you mean "chipped" is it an access port or what?

For External Use Only irickchad's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by livid_wrx View Post
    It means it's sweetly tuned, obviously.

The Anti-N00b. Use "Search", YES, you need a tune. NO, you don't need a BOV. Don't try to make you car shoot fire, and change your freaking oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    I haven't heard that term since I left Honda-Tech years ago... Lmao

I Support ClubWRX
    I wasn't going to go there - let them explain if they choose.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    There's no judgement or malice in my inquiry, just curious on whether or not we should advise him on removing a dud mod so he doesn't blow up his car. Seen it before, rather ask than be sorry.

I Support ClubWRX
    There's no judgement or malice in my inquiry, just curious on whether or not we should advise him on removing a dud mod so he doesn't blow up his car. Seen it before, rather ask than be sorry.
    Agreed.
    Mods & Pics

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.