Car died, now it won't start
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Car died, now it won't start within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I was driving home last night and I started to hear what I thought was a knocking noise ...

Car died, now it won't start

Hey guys, I was driving home last night and I started to hear what I thought was a knocking noise from my engine (kinda hard to hear over my exhaust) and then about 10 seconds later my engine stalled out. I dropped the clutch out to try to restart it, but then everything just shut off completely. No power anywhere.
    So I had it towed home yesterday, and my dad was convinced that it was an electrical issue, but I charged the battery up completely, and it still won't crank. Just makes a slow whining noise and then everything dims out for second and it stops. Any ideas? So far i'm thinking fuel pump or starter(other than a seized engine), but i don't see why it woudln't crank if it was the fuel pump, and i don't see why it would've shut off on my if the starter was bad.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    When you turn the key to ON, can you hear the fuel pump priming?
    Also have you tried jumping it?
    Sometimes the alternator gives up often without warning.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I should probably mention(this is why i'm afraid it's an engine problem) the oil pressure dropped after I did a WOT pull up through 3rd gear. I had just changed the oil and I wanted to make sure it was doing ok, so I drove it around for about 15 minutes and then pushed it on the way home. It was fine, i drove it for about a mile or two with 40-50 oil pressure with the clutch engaged and ~20 without, but then it died half a mile from home. Hence, my fear that I locked something up in the engine, because I don't understand the drop in oil pressure(unless my gauge is bad, didn't install in myself, came with the car when I bought it a couple months ago).

Yeah, I can hear the fuel pump.
    We tried jumping it with AAA, did the same thing it's doing after I charge the battery up.
    Yeah that's why I was thinking it might be the alternator, but it like won't even try to crank.

Considering the oil pressure drop AND a knocking noise I am going to gonna assume this is mechanical not electrical.
    Did you recheck your oil level?
    It sounds like the engine seized up.

something else forever Germz to Japz's Avatar
    what was the temperature outside?

what year is the car?

mods?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.