Suggestions for better roadside tool kit?

This is a discussion on Suggestions for better roadside tool kit? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The other day, I had a screw in my tire. I was on the way to work, and of course ...

Suggestions for better roadside tool kit?

The other day, I had a screw in my tire. I was on the way to work, and of course no one was open to plug it so I had to drive home on the donut and DIY. It was, of course, a cold sleety day and I got really fed up with the Subaru-supplied tool kit. That lug wrench is a joke.

So, I thought about what the rally guys do, and I'm pretty sure I want to put together a better roadside kit. I looked up a few things on the glorious interweb, and I'm not ready to go as aggressive as a "real" rally kit. So far, my list is:

Better Jack
    Folding Lug Wrench
    Tire Plug Kit
    BFH
    Crescent Hammer
    Wire
    Tape
    Random replacement parts (bulbs, etc)
    Sturdy rollup bag

I'm looking for suggestions on sources for this stuff. I'm curious about better jacks, I don't want the weight of a bottle jack, and I'm not crazy about the Subaru scissor jack (too slow, dammit). Has anyone seen the ratchet jacks anywhere? Also, how about a foldable fuel container? I'm trying to keep this compact enough to fit in the tire well, so I don't sacrifice trunk space.
    ribonucleic acid freakout

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

pliers
    wire cutters
    electrical tape
    screwdriver assortment
    vice grips
    radiator hose tape
    extra oil
    extra coolant
    pro-bar

I have even more than that, but I'm anal. That should cover you for most situations. Most important are pliers, assorted tape, prybar, and the things you mentioned.
    Last edited by Kush; 03-19-2006 at 09:30 AM.
    New England F4
    www.OddTopic.net - my pet project, come say hello!
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!