New clutch suggestions?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New clutch suggestions? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys and girls, my 2012 wrx is finally due for a new clutch at over 62,000 miles. I have ...

New clutch suggestions?

Hey guys and girls, my 2012 wrx is finally due for a new clutch at over 62,000 miles. I have no mods currently and not sure if ill be planning to do any soon. if i did they would be light and stage 2 (intake, DP, CBE, AP) .. Any recommendations on a new clutch? should i go OEM and have the dealer do it? OEM and my local mechanic? or aftermarket stage 1 or 2?

Thanks in advance for the help

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Exedy OE Replacement should be sufficient for stock - S2 mods

Your mechanic may have an affinity against aftermarket parts (mine does), so it's really your call...a clutch job isn't horrible, but it's not for the faint of heart.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    The exedy stage 1 is rated for 301 ft lbs. It should be enough for those listed mods. The exedy oe may work too just depending on driving habits it may wear out quicker
    Stinkeye member 520

will the stage 1 last longer or lesser then an OEM. I drive spirited when i feel like it or need to. I'm not launching every month but from time to time i will get on it.

I guess it will boil down to which lasts longer. Stock or Stage 1?

I Support ClubWRX
    It's still going to come down to how you drive. If you burn the clutch while driving then no neither will last. But if you're driving right then theoretically the stage 1 will last longer just becaise it's rated for more power (up to 301)
    I'm personally opting to go exedy stage 1 and oe flywheel. Becaise I like to get on it pretty often I don't want to use the oe replacement and burn that out prematurely. Especially after spending close to 2 grand for parts and labor
    Stinkeye member 520

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    It's still going to come down to how you drive. If you burn the clutch while driving then no neither will last. But if you're driving right then theoretically the stage 1 will last longer just becaise it's rated for more power (up to 301)
    I'm personally opting to go exedy stage 1 and oe flywheel. Becaise I like to get on it pretty often I don't want to use the oe replacement and burn that out prematurely. Especially after spending close to 2 grand for parts and labor
    i mean i got 60,000 out of the OEM set up. do you recommend a new flywheel too? i don't need an aftermarket lightweight. whatever will give me the best durability and life span is fine with me. if anything i would expect my next clutch to last me longer then the original because I've tamed it down dramatically within those 60,000 miles.

by oe flywheel I'm assuming its the OEM flywheel? sorry if thats a dumb question, I'm just trying to be sure and get as much knowledge as possible on the subject. Thank you

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes oe is oem
    I recommend replacing the flywheel. Some have been lucky and we're able to resurface it but most have not and are stuck with chatter. Same thing may happen of you don't replace it
    60k still isn't much out of a clutch either. Plenty modern cars are going well over 100 on the oem
    Stinkeye member 520

Okay , thank you very much for the input. I'm sure i would be getting thousands of more solid miles on it if it wasn't for the last time me and my buddy did some launches. So, Exedy stage 1 and a subaru replacement flywheel or would you recommend the lightweight flywheel? will it hurt the durability/Life ?

For External Use Only irickchad's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Only 60K out of the OEM clutch on a stock car? Did you learn on this car? Is the clutch you have now slipping or just chattering like crazy? What's up with it? I'm sure the launches didnt help the life of it.

Anyway, like others said, an Exedy OE replacement would be a great clutch for you if you plan on keeping things mild.

I Support ClubWRX
    You need to research what setups work with a lightweight and what dont. Some of them cause misfire codes (you're not really missing) most have noise associated with downshifting (also usually when the misses throw the code)
    but imo a lightweight isn't going to have any benefit over oem. It's going to be annoying to drive as a daily and I'd prefer to keep drive ability. Since I'm already up to speed no momentum is lost where it would be on a lightweight
    Stinkeye member 520

Quote Originally Posted by irickchad View Post
    Only 60K out of the OEM clutch on a stock car? Did you learn on this car? Is the clutch you have now slipping or just chattering like crazy? What's up with it? I'm sure the launches didnt help the life of it.

Anyway, like others said, an Exedy OE replacement would be a great clutch for you if you plan on keeping things mild.
    No, this is my third stick shift. What is chatter? I never understood that. It is definitely slipping. If I'm in 3,4,or 5th gear and cruising and i step on the gas pedal more then the RPM shoots up.(Thats how i realized i would need a new clutch) The launches are the sole reason for needing a replacement. I don't drive like and idiot but I definitely beat on this clutch a bit with the launching and some snow drifting for a couple of seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    You need to research what setups work with a lightweight and what dont. Some of them cause misfire codes (you're not really missing) most have noise associated with downshifting (also usually when the misses throw the code)
    but imo a lightweight isn't going to have any benefit over oem. It's going to be annoying to drive as a daily and I'd prefer to keep drive ability. Since I'm already up to speed no momentum is lost where it would be on a lightweight
    Ill just be going with a basic OEM flywheel , no need for the lightweight then i suppose. Once again, nsibanez, I appreciate your help and knowledge on the subject. I plan on having this work done this month or in March.

I Support ClubWRX
    anytime bud. This is the best site to learn on that's for sure

Same here too. My clutch is hanging on by threads. Hoping to find a decent shop and get it done once my taxes are in...if it's enougj
    Stinkeye member 520

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.